Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Hope someone can help me out - am currently attempting a power steering install in a friend's absolutely beautiful 1967 230 Fintail with a column shift standard trans. which came with standard steering. Have managed to procure original p/s pump and bracketry, pulleys etc. which fit just like they grew there. Also aquired a power steering box which IS my problem. I am assured this is the correct piece for the car but it will not fit in place because it is too long at the steering shaft end and bolt holes will not line up. Splined u joint fits perfectly but box is just too long by about 2 inches. Now do I have the WRONG box OR did Mercedes use some sort of power assist servo cylinder on the center link instead in this application. Hope someone has run into this problem before because this is really starting to give me brain damage! I am starting to wonder if this model was not available with power steering because of the column shift as there doesn't seem to be room at the end of the column due to the shift column right next to it. For this box to fit it would have to partially enter through the firewall which is impossible. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
419 Posts
Pictures please??

(And sharing your location allows a local person to help. ) :)

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,186 Posts
the same box was used on 108, 109, 110 , 111 and 113

Maybe you need a different steering shaft?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys - the mystery is solved - got a hold of Fred at Reinvent the Wheel Benz Parts and luckily he had 2 cars in the yard one with p/s and one without and indeed the steering columns are just that little bit different and the new box WILL fit in the original spot but the column is recessed about 2 inches into the firewall on the p/s car so all should be good once the column is swapped. I think its now Miller Time.............thanks again to all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts