Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power Steering Liquid Leak and Weak Motor Mounts

1832 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Peter Guenther
I had routine oil change done on my '93 400SEL(130K miles) today and the technician indentified the following problems:
Power steering liquid leak (cost to fix $2712)
Weak Motor Mounts (cost to fix $507)

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how much did it cost and how critical was this?

Thanks in advance
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
'92 500sel
13 Posts
PS Pump leak + Bad Motormounts

I have the same 2 problems on my 92 500sel - just had the pump replaced - I found a good used MB parts dealer here in LI - he was able to find a pump for me for $350, plus $50 more to overnite it from CA. My mechanic charged me $381. to replace it (it is rated at 5 hrs' labor in the book, I'm told). Mine was with the self-leveling shocks, so the part cost a bit more.

I'm now looking for a replacement motormount - will let you know how much I get it for.

· Registered
Current: '14 S550, '99 S500, '10 Prius; Previous: '93 400SEL, '98 Corolla
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PS Pump leak + Bad Motormounts

I have the same 2 problems on my 92 500sel - just had the pump replaced - I found a good used MB parts dealer here in LI - he was able to find a pump for me for $350, plus $50 more to overnite it from CA. My mechanic charged me $381. to replace it (it is rated at 5 hrs' labor in the book, I'm told). Mine was with the self-leveling shocks, so the part cost a bit more.

I'm now looking for a replacement motormount - will let you know how much I get it for.
Thanks for the response mb_500. I have had a temporary fix for the PS pump - a different mechanic said that it did not need replacement and changed a small hose connection. Labor and parts ($10) cost me $160. I have to check again if this has been effective and stopped the leak.

The motor mount still needs to be replaced though. I am told that this is a common replacement in the W140S, especially 400-600 because of the weight of the engine. I believe this makes the mounts weak and they need to be replaced from time to time. But do let me know how much it might cost you. Also, can you let me know the source for the PS pump. If I need to replace it I might try the same source. My mechanic was going to get an OEM part since he mentioned that he could not find a remanufactured one.

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Power steering/motor mounts

Ther rear mount is 66.00 the sides are 131.00 ea, about three hrs labor, my dealer suggested changing all three since they had jacked up the engine. so figure on 500.00 to 600.00
My steering was seeping but they tightned eveything, and it went away

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.