Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
<<2000' ML 320 >>
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a post about this early on. How often does the rack and pinion go bad? I have a serious leak going on right now and I have had my car go through the recall stuff about a year ago. I'm taken it to the dealer this week but it was mentioned by another establishment (non-dealer) that perhaps I would need a new rack and pinion. GEEZZZZZZZ....that's at least a $1600.00 job with no questions asked. Let me know what y'all think.[:(!]

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,855 Posts
A new rack is a slim possibility, but there are many parts in the system that have been known to leak. If it is the rack you will see the dust boots oozing out fluid. If they are dry I doubt your rack is failing. How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Be careful, on my former 2001 ML 320, the power steering reservour oring was leaking (just a couple of dollars), and the service manager wanted to replace the steering rack, too, because it was wet with power steering fluid. I told him that it was wet from the fluid that was comming down from the reservour oring which it was obvious where it was leaking from. I was even more certain because a week before that I was under my ML and the power steering rack was completely dry.

I had to forcibly reject changing the power steering rack until they changed the oring and clean up and dry the power steering rack, and then see if the power steering rack was really leaking. It is seldom that two such components fail at the same time. Make sure it is not one of the power steering hoses either.

Weeks and months after that, the power steering rack was completely dry and never showed any leaking problem... You have the right to ask the mechanic to show you what is wrong, where it is leaking from, and how he got to his conclusion..

AC

·
Registered
<<2000' ML 320 >>
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
110k miles[xx(]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I have the same leak you describe... its leaking at the boots on my rack. I just keep an eye on the fluid because the price to swap the rack is too much for me right now. Maybe later on down the road if the leak gets worse Ill cough up thr dough.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Here was my powersteering leak fix

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=81129&posts=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts