Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had a bit of a journey. The initial R&P had massive leaks (not drivable) from the end gaskets showing up through the dust covers. I purchased an appropriate R&P from a used parts place off of a 1999 E430. I installed it and discovered that it had small leaks in the areas described above, I removed this R&P, had it rebuilt (the one from the E430), reinstalled it and no leaks.
Looks like mine is leaking where it connects to the steering shaft. This place i get used parts from have a couple that fit my car for around $100-$150, but after hearing that I may just order a rebuilt one for $230 or $320 2-day shipping.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
98 Posts
Actually after doing this a few times the removal/installation is not that difficult. Biggest installation issues are handling the R&P by yourself (I used some longer bolts (3/8"x 5" I think) through the frame bolt holes to support and then installed appropriate bolts/nuts one at a time; not tightening to frame before attaching the fluid lines (they are just difficult...hard to access, hard to start banjo bolt, and hard to be sure crush washer is on both sides of the banjo bolt. I confirmed with a mirror before tightening; I had trouble the second time with getting the coupling to bottom out on the plastic alignment guide (placement of alignment guide is important). This is necessary to "lock" the connection with the appropriate bolt; after re-filling fluid reservoir, I had no problem flushing lines by turning wheels (off ground) 30 times before starting motor and then 30 times with motor started; I did the repair with ramps but a lift would help immensely; I adjusted toe using both the line method and tape measure method (I rigged a shower rod with an end that fit into the grove of the tire and it worked well). Checked it at alignment shop and was spot on. Probably would trust my alignment in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually after doing this a few times the removal/installation is not that difficult. Biggest installation issues are handling the R&P by yourself (I used some longer bolts (3/8"x 5" I think) through the frame bolt holes to support and then installed appropriate bolts/nuts one at a time; not tightening to frame before attaching the fluid lines (they are just difficult...hard to access, hard to start banjo bolt, and hard to be sure crush washer is on both sides of the banjo bolt. I confirmed with a mirror before tightening; I had trouble the second time with getting the coupling to bottom out on the plastic alignment guide (placement of alignment guide is important). This is necessary to "lock" the connection with the appropriate bolt; after re-filling fluid reservoir, I had no problem flushing lines by turning wheels (off ground) 30 times before starting motor and then 30 times with motor started; I did the repair with ramps but a lift would help immensely; I adjusted toe using both the line method and tape measure method (I rigged a shower rod with an end that fit into the grove of the tire and it worked well). Checked it at alignment shop and was spot on. Probably would trust my alignment in the future. Good luck.
I watched a couple videos it doesn’t look too bad like you said. I think I'm going to order the rebuilt rack, it includes a lifetime warranty if I send the core back and comes with new inner tie rods(couldn’t get seized locking nut off left outer rod anyway). I already got a left outer tie rod because it is shot, so just need to order the right. Thanks for your help I will read over this after I get the new rack in and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Make sure you know which version you need.....with or without servo. Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 213 code for these years is for the "Parameter Steering". Be sure to check VIN, etc. with your supplier. You can see the servo electronic connection on the R&P.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally got around to removing the old rack, was pretty simple. Going to install the new one tomorrow.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The 213 code for these years is for the "Parameter Steering". Be sure to check VIN, etc. with your supplier. You can see the servo electronic connection on the R&P.
How did you go about spreading the steering coupling to put it on the rack.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I centered the inner tie rods to the center of the rack and placed the plastic alignment part onto the spindle of the R&P in the recommended location (there is a small arrow just a little off center below the base of the spindle that the point of the plastic alignment part should point). I adjusted toe with the outer tie rods. Seemed to work well. I hope this is what you were asking.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I centered the inner tie rods to the center of the rack and placed the plastic alignment part onto the spindle of the R&P in the recommended location (there is a small arrow just a little off center below the base of the spindle that the point of the plastic alignment part should point). I adjusted toe with the outer tie rods. Seemed to work well. I hope this is what you were asking.
No the coupling on the steering shaft that connects to the rack. It is too tight to fit onto the new rack.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts