Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow power steering fluid leak on the drivers side. I looked today and it seems to be coming from where the hoses from the pump connect to the rack, are there any o-rings at the end of the hoses.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’m gonna wipe it dry and take another look. Is there anything else in that area known to leak.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
Maybe the hose part, so clean it up and take some pics to post :). Make sure it is power steering fluid. It could be something else running down the pipe.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its definitely power steering fluid i had to top it off and could see the drip. Will get back under tomorrow and post pics. Hopefully get all the parts and do it this weekend. Need to change outer tie rods anyway.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i took another look today and it definitely looks like the leak is coming from where the (high pressure hose?) connects to the rack.
36EE74D0-1DDA-4DDB-8576-8C1ACD7B4E8A.jpeg
fluid drips down side of electrical connection
C0EC6195-5C30-4873-A2ED-38861DBB9E7F.png

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
Time to change seal. I would consider changing the whole line, as it is aged, and may leak sooner or later.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,667 Posts
The high pressure side for PS pump is a very common problem on the 210.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
98 Posts
I don't think those are 0-rings. For sure on the 1999's they are crush washers.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my parts in today gonna change it and let you guys know if it was the hose or seals. Also gotta change a shot tie rod end on drivers side and a bent rear camber strut.
70E35E09-2C67-4B63-89EF-20597D35EE2B.jpeg
A0E77D2B-D3D7-4C3A-9EED-64DBC7D935C7.jpeg

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
Take left wheel and tie rod off, turns strut all the way to the right. Take heat shield off to prevent lacerations. Take connector off SPS valve. Clean area before braking banjo bolt loose. Most difficult part of this job is starting banjo bolt straight with seals still in place.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take left wheel and tie rod off, turns strut all the way to the right. Take heat shield off to prevent lacerations. Take connector off SPS valve. Clean area before braking banjo bolt loose. Most difficult part of this job is starting banjo bolt straight with seals still in place.
Ok thanks, probably going to do it tomorrow morning, think im just going to change the rear camber strut for today.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help, that thing was hell trying to remove it with tie rod still on. It took me longer to thread the bolt back then anything.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after changing seals im still leaking fluid. Im thinking either the bolt is miss thread(looks flush) or my rack is shot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just rebuilt and installed my R&P on my E320 wagon after chasing leaks for a while. I changed o-rings in adjustment part of the R&P and new pressure line and crush washers on fluid lines. Did not help. Leak was at top of R&P at the car coupling connection spindle and at mid-base gasket. No leaks after repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think
I just rebuilt and installed my R&P on my E320 wagon after chasing leaks for a while. I changed o-rings in adjustment part of the R&P and new pressure line and crush washers on fluid lines. Did not help. Leak was at top of R&P at the car coupling connection spindle and at mid-base gasket. No leaks after repair. Good luck.
I think thats where mine is leaking from, I don’t see anything until its dripping off of the SPS valve. Did you buy a rebuilt rack or did you repair the one on your car already.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a bit of a journey. The initial R&P had massive leaks (not drivable) from the end gaskets showing up through the dust covers. I purchased an appropriate R&P from a used parts place off of a 1999 E430. I installed it and discovered that it had small leaks in the areas described above, I removed this R&P, had it rebuilt (the one from the E430), reinstalled it and no leaks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts