Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 M-B 380SL, 1998 Ford Taurus, 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a power steering leak. I've been leaking oil of some sort. The engine and transmission aren't losing any oil but the power steering system is. I put some UV dye in the system to see where it's coming from. The dye is showing up all under the car. The pump and hoses aren't showing any dye and the steering gear assembly is clean also. It looks like the hoses leave the pump and go through the fender and under the front of the car. I am assuming there is a cooler or something up there. My books don't show much in the way of illustrations.

I'm sure I could poke around up there and find it but I'd like an idea of what to look for. Work has been bouncing me around so time to work on the car is short. I pulled the hardtop off and want to be able to drive with out putting power steering fluid in it.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,837 Posts
Yes there is a cooler there. Not much of one just a single pass tube the passes one time in front of radiator. Both my hoses were leaking and had to be replaced. Not a terribly difficult job.

·
Registered
1982 M-B 380SL, 1998 Ford Taurus, 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a cooler there. Not much of one just a single pass tube the passes one time in front of radiator. Both my hoses were leaking and had to be replaced. Not a terribly difficult job.

Possibly the hoses are leaking at the cooler. The main part of both hoses are dry. I found my rattle while I was under there. The left inner tie rod end has a lot of slop and I think the center drag link may need replacing too. Since the front will need realigning after replacement, I think I may do both sides while I'm at it.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,154 Posts
Just a bit off topic, but didn't you replace all your vacuum rubber pieces & hoses.

I'm a bit lazy & if you did, I'd love to see the parts list. :surrender:

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts