Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My infamous power steering leak remains and now it's no longer a small problem. The leak is now very bad to the point that I could fill up the reservoir and it will be empty in less than 5 minutes.

I let the problem linger for years because it wasn't a major leak and I was able to refill every other week or so. But now, I'm driving around with a stiff steering wheel. (Megadamp, I can see the disappointment in your face).

Can someone help me come up with a game-plan on how my mechanic should attack this problem? My mechanic was over yesterday and said it could be a number of things; but he isn't a ML expert (but conveniently affordable and capable if given directions).

Appreciate your expert opinions.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,121 Posts
How is it possible that your reservoir empties in 5 min & you don't know were the leak is from??????????????????????
And how is it possible that the mechanic didn't see the source of such a obscene leak????????????
If you cant determine the source of such a huge leak, what game plan are you asking for????

·
Registered
98' CL500, 96' S600 coupe & the newly acquired 95' SL600
487 Posts
Man....

If its leaking that bad, check the reservoir itself for cracks. I have never heard of a leak that bad! I'm a complete novice when it comes to mechanics, but that is where I would start. You are really going to have to clean up that area and then put some steering fluid in, and see if you can visually spot where the leak is coming from.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,582 Posts
You need to find out where the fluid is going. If it's emptying out in 5 minutes it's obviously easy to see. At that speed it has to be a hole or a serious leak in a reservoir or hose that you should be able to see. Open the hood and look, or get under the car and look....the operative word here being look! Then when you find it take a picture of it or diagram it and post it so we can see what the issues are. Good luck

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is it possible that your reservoir empties in 5 min & you don't know were the leak is from??????????????????????
And how is it possible that the mechanic didn't see the source of such a obscene leak????????????
If you cant determine the source of such a huge leak, what game plan are you asking for????
All valid questions. I'm not sure I have good answers. It leaks rapidly while driving but slowly while stationary.

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man....

If its leaking that bad, check the reservoir itself for cracks. I have never heard of a leak that bad! I'm a complete novice when it comes to mechanics, but that is where I would start. You are really going to have to clean up that area and then put some steering fluid in, and see if you can visually spot where the leak is coming from.

just my 2 cents
Thanks. Will do.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,685 Posts
All valid questions. I'm not sure I have good answers. It leaks rapidly while driving but slowly while stationary.

With the engine running get someone to turn the wheel lock to lock while you look it will come out somewhere.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,868 Posts
Check where the metal lines go from the pump to rack near the rack.
They can rust badly there in climates that use salt.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,121 Posts
Also check the infamous PS pipe going into the radiator. Open the boot, stand in front of the car facing it. The pipe is the bottom rubber pipe on your right attached to the radiator. As Matt said let someone turn the steering & check the connection pipe/radiator. By turning the steering you will create pressure/flow of PS fluid & you will see were it is leaking.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Nea post some pictures. If its the o ring on the filler bottle its a cheap easy fix. The lower down you go the harder the repair and more expensive. If you get power steering fluid on the drive belt it can cause you big trouble.

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also check the infamous PS pipe going into the radiator. Open the boot, stand in front of the car facing it. The pipe is the bottom rubber pipe on your right attached to the radiator. As Matt said let someone turn the steering & check the connection pipe/radiator. By turning the steering you will create pressure/flow of PS fluid & you will see were it is leaking.
Thanks Matt | Art. I appreciate all the suggestions and now we have a starting point. The mechanic will come over tomorrow and we'll go through all the necessary steps to find out the source of the leak.

I have a backup reservoir so I'll have him replace that tomorrow to see if that helps.

Will provide results late tomorrow night so stayed tune. And thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nea post some pictures. If its the o ring on the filler bottle its a cheap easy fix. The lower down you go the harder the repair and more expensive. If you get power steering fluid on the drive belt it can cause you big trouble.
Mega, here are some pictures and the best video that I could do without getting on my hands and knees.

http://youtu.be/gR7u6hacpJQ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,685 Posts
If you can degrease it all before your mechanic gets there it will be a lot easier to find. With the amount its dripping it won't be to hard.
It looks like your sway bar rubbers are shot to from being constantly soaked in oil.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
If you haven't done the recall, go and get it done. I did mines at Rallye Mercedes where my family got the truck, back in the day. They will most likely replace the clamp and the high pressure hose. It's free and can't hurt.

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you can degrease it all before your mechanic gets there it will be a lot easier to find. With the amount its dripping it won't be to hard.
It looks like your sway bar rubbers are shot to from being constantly soaked in oil.
I don't think I'll be able to degrease it. I'm not really so good at being hands on. But what's he best or easiest way to degrease it?

Do I have to order new sway bar rubbers? If so, can you provide me with a good link on either amazon or ebay?

·
Registered
2000 ML 320
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you haven't done the recall, go and get it done. I did mines at Rallye Mercedes where my family got the truck, back in the day. They will most likely replace the clamp and the high pressure hose. It's free and can't hurt.
Thanks. Will call for an appointment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts