Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My powersteering pump is groaning when I turn it left and right, its weird sometimes when Im stopped ill turn it left and right and no noise, but when the car is under accelaration it make the noise. anyone have an Idea, I have done a search and everyone complains about the abc but my car is airmatic

·
Registered
4 Posts
I encountered the same problem, and noticed the hydraulic fluid level was barely registering on the dipstick, I added PS fluid to bring it up to the top line, and the grinding went away; unknown why system diagnostics did not alert of low PS fluid, but my prior SL500 has the same issue of no warning on low PS fluid, and I paid a mint to replace the entire PS pump: The cost to replace the pump; well MB Dealers now offer a defer payment plan: you include the dealership in your will, or give them some stock options.
Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
181 Posts
My powersteering pump is groaning when I turn it left and right, its weird sometimes when Im stopped ill turn it left and right and no noise, but when the car is under accelaration it make the noise. anyone have an Idea, I have done a search and everyone complains about the abc but my car is airmatic
The W210 and ML guys talk about this MB Dealer product- Lubrizol Steering Fluid Additive. The ML Guys/Gals in particular have had steering whining and groaning issues and several TSB's on it.

I think it is $15 a bottle. But, I would absolutely check with the dealer about adding this in a W220!!!!! And ,there are very specific procedures for adding it!!!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Its not a new issue as the steering rack does fail on your model but rare. That is what the problem appears to be

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There is no level sensing for P/S or hydraulic fluid that would alert on the dash. This is a sealed system and therefore should never run low. I have seen the display indicate a warning in the event of a total failure (ABC or AIRMATIC air leak) because the suspension level sensor will go below a preset threshhold and trip the warning. One would know anyhow because 1 or more corners would be on the ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you sure it's the power steering pump making the noise?
It could be that you have bad motor mounts.

I think I had the same problem. Everytime I turn left or right while accelerating, I would hear a deep groaning noise.

The problem wasn't my power steering pump, but it was because of bad motor mounts. After I replaced the motor mounts, the noise was gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Power steering "shi---shi... ing"

When I turn the power steering, there is a low level "shi---shi- ' sound. The workshop told me it is very common for S class. The power steering fluid is found to be at the normal level. Any advise?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the rack and pinion for $550 and the power steering pump for $300 1 year warranty on both. (with core exchange)

Simple Formula:

[Usually] If hard to steer when turning to one side: Rack and Pinion

[ Usually ] If hard to steer on BOTH sides : Power Steering Pump

786 262 8100 Joe

[email protected]

That shh shh you hearing is the power steering pump going out.

PS The stealership is charging you $15 for a band-aid disguised as Power Steering Fluid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The W210 and ML guys talk about this MB Dealer product- Lubrizol Steering Fluid Additive. The ML Guys/Gals in particular have had steering whining and groaning issues and several TSB's on it.

I think it is $15 a bottle. But, I would absolutely check with the dealer about adding this in a W220!!!!! And ,there are very specific procedures for adding it!!!
Anybody have recommendations how to add this additive to an ML?
Thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts

How do you add this additive? The oil level it at MAX, should I take away some oil and replace it with the additive? how much should I add? How to take out the existing oil?
Thanks,

·
Registered
181 Posts
How do you add this additive? The oil level it at MAX, should I take away some oil and replace it with the additive? how much should I add? How to take out the existing oil?
Thanks,
This info way posted by Singularity -

Squealing noises when turning can be heard If your car been sitting for way to long without driving. Replacing Power Steering Fluid may help but not guaranteed. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for this problem released by Dymler-Chrylser.

Squealing / Squeaking Noises From Area of Rack-And-Pinion When Steering in Both Directions

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of squealing or squeaking noises when steering in both directions when the engine is warm, the cause may be due to insufficient lubrication at the radial shaft sealing ring in the control head.

Lubrizol 6178 (MB Part # A0019896103) must only be used once in the steering system. No more than 50 ml of Lubrizol 6178 maybe added.

Follow below steps to add additive Lubrizol 6178 into steering oil:

1. Check whether Lubrizol has already been added. This can be verified by a yellow dot on the steering gear and power steering pump housings.
2. If Lubrizol has already been added, repair the vehicle per DTB P-B-46.20/25a dated March 27, 2006.
3. Ensure steering system is brought up to operating temperature (approx. 80 deg C).
4. Suction off 50 ml of steering oil.
5. Pour in 50 ml of Lubrizol 6178 (NOTE : Shake bottle before pouring in).
6. Turn steering wheel to a limit stop with the engine running. Then hold steering wheel in this position for 1-2 seconds and quickly (in jerking motion) turn the steering wheel out of the limit stop while increasing the engine speed from idle to approximately 1200 rpm. Repeat this procedure at both limit stops until the noise is no longer audible.
Note : It is possible to repeat this procedure up to 20 times before the noise is no longer audible.
7. Apply a dot with yellow touch-up paint on both the reservoir and steering gear housings. These markings serve as an identifier that additive Lubrizol 6178 has already been added to this vehicle and must not be added again.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the same problems with the steering noise for some time now, so I decided to take the car to my MB mechanic. However, he couldn't find any problems with the steering system whatsoever.

After reading numerous threads in the forum on this issue, I decided last night to add Lubrizol to the steering fluid reservoir and followed the instructions. Immediately after adding Lubrizol and turning the steering to both left and right limits numerous times, the noise went away. However, this morning, after leaving the car outside last night in approximately 50 degree weather, the noise came back. I am hoping the noise will eventually go away with the Lubrizol in the system. I will post an update in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
3rd day and beyond...

It's been about three weeks since I added Lubrizol to the power steering system. As I mentioned in my original reply, the noise came back the morning after I added Lubrizol to the system. However, on the 3rd day and beyond, the noise has gone away completely and has not come back. I am only hoping this would be permanent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been about three weeks since I added Lubrizol to the power steering system. As I mentioned in my original reply, the noise came back the morning after I added Lubrizol to the system. However, on the 3rd day and beyond, the noise has gone away completely and has not come back. I am only hoping this would be permanent.
It's been 18 months and the power steering system has been completely noise-free!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just fixed this on my 97 E-420 and took lots of pictures, and recorded the groan/growl noise, which went away after the job was done.
I'd be happy to post a sticky but can't see the option on how to post pictures/vid on this forum.
Any tips?

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Use photobucket.com it's the easiest way to post pics and videos you just copy and paste the IMG links photobucket provides into your reply here

They have a free phone app if your pics are on your smartphone

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Alternatively, when you post, click "Go Advanced" - a window will open up that will allow you to select the photos you want to post. Click "Upload" and wait for the upload to complete. You can then preview the post if you wish, or just post it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the tips, that's the general direction I was leaning towards. Might even drop a clip or two onto Youtube. I'm nursing flared nurves and trying to limit my use of the mouse, will get to this soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts