Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 B Electric Drive- 2002 E320 Sedan-2013 Nissan Leaf
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the power steering groan mentioned in the "common issues" but dont see where anyone has posted a resolution.

My 2002 is starting to get a bit louder- fluid looks and smells ok, and level is within the 20 to 80 as appropriate.

Also- and not related, my coolant temp guage goes up half way between 80 120 now and sits there when I am in stop and go traffic. when under way it drops back down to about 2 needle thicknesses above 80.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
as long as it doesn't climb over 100C, then temp is ok. it always goes over 90C in stop and go traffic, but it should go down (~85C) as you start moving faster or get on the highway. when it starts going over 100C then you got a problem.
regarding power steering, someone mentioned a "lubrizol" product that supposed to make the pump quieter. or if you can't find the lubrizol, then add a teaspoon of stp oil treatment to thicken up the fluid and see if that quiets it down.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The sound I had in the steering was more of a squeak. Lubrizol was suggested as a possible fix for that. I'll have to look for the groan because I don't remember that symptom.

Regarding engine temp, yours is behaving differently than it used to? The range you posted sounds normal to me too.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Squeek-Groan Country and Western?

Its not the squeek that you hear under the dash from the boot that goes around the shaft at the firewall.

It is a mechanical groaning sound that is timed to the rpm's of the car and changes pitch with the change of steering angle.

As far as temp goes... this is a new behaviour as of about a month ago.

Before it would go up to 80- and then sit there with ever so slight fluctuations regardless of outside temp, load, speed, or music playing on the stereo.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
How does the power steering fluid look? Does it smell burned or is it dark? If you rule that out it might be time to investigate the pump. You already stated the level is OK so that can't be it.

Your temp used to be more like how mine behaves. Maybe a new coolant temperature sensor is in the cards?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fluid looks and smells ok, and level is within the 20 to 80 as appropriate..
Maybe the Pump is going bad.... (sounds like an inexpensive repair) :)

How could I test the temp sensor? Using voltmeter, what would the correct spec be for 80?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
actually your temp is showing correctly now, because operating temp is around 90C and slightly above that in traffic jam. if temp doesn't go above 80C than something is wrong, most likely need new thermostat.

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,490 Posts
MBPEOPLES,

Sounds like two different issues.

I'll respond to the water temp and noise by saying that my '98 320 had a rhythmic noise that was present at low engine rpm's and disappeared above 1K revs.

Coolant temp was mostly OK as I noticed the noise in the midst of a 100 degree Chicago trip, but it turned out to be a failing waterpump bearing.

The wobble was clearly visible at idle.

Not certain if this is your situation, but it's an easy check.

Skippy

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
If it were "me", I would first change the PS Fluid. This is an easy, and inexpensive procedure. This would help exclude any trapped air bubbles in the system, etc.

If you can Lift the front wheels off the ground, this is preferable. This way you can turn the wheel from stop-to-stop without stressing your system/links. Otherwise you should be MOVING while turing the steering.

On the G, it recommends doing the Stop-to-stop 15 Times!!

I think several full cylcles in between each flushing aliquout should be sufficient.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1413826-photo-diy-power-steering-fluid-change.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts