Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the procedure to changing the power steering in a w210? I want to change the fluid to see if it will solve the sqeaky steering issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know if this is the proper procedure but I just had an o-ring go out on a connection under the car - there are two little round things with a plug in them. I tried to take a pic (see attached) but it's kinda dark. Anyway, that sure did drain the power steering fluid!

If you drain it this way, you should probably pickup new o-rings from the dealer. They were like 1.50 and had flattened out with age so I suspect that most w210's will need to have them replaced at some point or another.

Also, you should get the o-ring from the dealer if you do change this. I first tried to use a generic o-ring and it blew out, either because it was installed improperly or because it was the wrong kind for the system (or both). My friend installed the generic one so I'm not sure how he did it. He may have slipped it over the plug and then screwed it in, but I think it actually needs to be seated in the opening and then the plug gets screwed in afterward.

There's a good chance he did it the right way and the problem was the wrong o-ring though.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Note: my pic is from 97 e420. Not sure if it's the same for other w210's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hard to say. I only had one of them open at first (the one that was leaking) and a quart or two came out -- which may have been a majority of what was left due to the leaking. I refilled it with the non-mercedes o-ring on and that lasted a few days before it blew out and sprayed EVERYTHING out in the bay of a shop where I was having new tires installed. Yeah, they were happy campers.. hehehe.

Anyway, if you open both you might get more to drain out with gravity rather than the high pressure screw up that I did. I do think that I put more in after the blow-out than I did the first time, but again, I only had opened one side the first time as well.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
What is the procedure to changing the power steering in a w210? I want to change the fluid to see if it will solve the sqeaky steering issue.
I don't know what kind of squeak you have, but there are a number of post concerning a squeak in the steering caused by a rubber seal were the steering shaft passes through the fire wall. I would do a little searching.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts