Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends, i have a leak of power steering fluid from the hose part that connects to the radiator. im not sure if its the hose clamp or from the bolts itself i checked today and seen it was running from the end with the clamp to where it connects from the radiator. any ideas or suggestions??

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
Most common leak there is so much so there was a recall. Replace the hose. I use Gates transmission hose
Forget the exact size, ICan look later when I get home.

You can buy a preformed hose, but I feel the transmission line grabs better and is more available. In my town even the dealer has to order the hose. At the same time replace the reservoir to pump seal. That the dealer had about 2.50. If you use transmission line you need to make it a bit longer to circle back.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i actually readjusted the clamp closer to bolt and added a second clamp and it seems to be good no leak so far. so i think im good thanks wallyo.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
Replace the hose ASAP the problem is not the clamp or even 2 clamps. I actually read accounts where on recall that is what the dealer did and it still later on leaked.

The Hose gets dried out and hardens so hard it becomes almost like a plastic pipe like PVC pipe, putting a second clamp on it helps in the short term but it will leak again. A new hose has flex and grip. There have been cases of old hoses being clamped and sliding right off completly, the ML's auto flushing power steering fluid system.

I even tried cutting a bit off the end and reinstalling still leaked. Was headed out of town the next day.

Less then 10 dollars in materials beats a 175.00 tow fee!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
If you go the transmission cooler hose route you will need at least 14” to make a nice return sweep. Believe I used 3/8, double check by comparing to the old hose cross section at the center.

Orielly’s sells it by the foot so you need 2 feet. About 4 dollars per.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok gotcha, 3/8 black tubing hose right? im on it. i followed where the hose goes and it goes way back are you saying i can bypass all of that straight to the pump?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
Let’s be sure you and I are talking the same hose to start with. The most common leak is the hose from the radiator to the pump reservoir, as in my photo.
Nothing is bypassed, just replaced, the factory hose look like a shepherd’s crock. It must be replaced with that or the transmission oil hose. Personally I think the transmission hose is better and easier to obtain.

M

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i checked and it is not the hose you showed a picture of its the second hose underneath that which connects to the radiator by clamp. i believe its called the power steering pressure hose that leads back to behind engine. its leaking right underneath the hose part where the clamp is. i think ill have to buy that hose and replace it

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think its the low pressure hose that connects to the rack and pinion

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup its the low pressure line #123 in the diagram. i think if i replace the hose i should be ok

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
As a precaution if that upper hose has not been replaced or the reservoir pump seal, replace them anyway.

You are going to have to drain the fluid, so might as well do all three.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actually those were replaced about a year nd half ago when i changed the pump.itself so i think im good with that

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
u know looking at it it looks like it might be leaking from the where the bolt is at. do you guys think maybe it might be the bolt itself need some thread seal tape or something or should i just replace the hose and take it from there because the new low pressure line hose doesnt look like it connects with a bolt might be a snap on type hose?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
It may be the power steering pump seal. Having done it on both ml’s I should remember but basic procedure

I disconnect the upper hose I post photo of.

Drain fluid with a turkey baster or hose and large syringe

Undo either one or two torx bolts pull reservoir forward

Remove flat looking o ring type seal reinstall.

Forgive me using a Walmart photo bug it is the best I can find showing all three.

As you can see a leak here can seem like it is leaking from a bolt. Excuse the Walmart photo! Best I can find

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wallyo i dont see how it could be the o ring seal your talking about i inspected that area and its clean and free of fluid. the only place where i see fluid leaking is in the picture i posted of the low pressure line where the bolt connects to the radiator i checked twice and definitely notice the leak from there.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,791 Posts
Sorry though you were referring to a bolt on the pump itself. Then got distracted because I pulled into Home Depot. Parked and just blew heater hose connector.

You are talking the input to the radiator cooler then? Which if not the hose, be sure on that it may be the radiator it self.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes ML320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, im hoping its not the radiator doesn't look like it tho. looks like maybe a leak from the connection

1 - 20 of 26 Posts