Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991SEL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1991 MB 560SEL makes noise when I turn right or left when driving. I think it needs Power Steering fluid. However, the Owners Manual only mentions Power Steering fluid but doesn't say where the fluid goes and how much to fill. It only states that it needs 1.4 quarts. Neither does it say how much Hydraulic fluid should the Hydraulic container have in it and to what level. There is a wire around the container (which has a small black knob on top) and it appears that it is only full to that wire but the container seems only half full. Is the Hydraulic fluid and Power Steering fluid one and the same? I'll have to see if I can buy some online but where? I don't live anywhere near a MB Dealership and I look forward for some information. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
82 500SEC
2,324 Posts
The SLS bottle is usually only about half full. The SLS fluid is very similar to transmission (and some P/S) fluid. Except it doesn't have any dyes or friction modifiers. The long term effects of these extra chemicals in the SLS system are not clear. Best just stick to the proper SLS fluid from the dealer if you can get it.

If you need photos, I've got one of the power steering fluid reservoir on my blog.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
48,647 Posts
Most W126 guys use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) fluid in the power steering system.
The noise at total lock (not good for your pump btw.) sounds like low fluid.
The power steering pump is driven by one of the belts behind the radiator.
Inside the reservoir is a cast mark for normal fluid level.
The 'Attention Newbies, please read this: Welcome to the forum' announcement / tutorial on top of the W126 page has a link to the service manual, and shows how to search for often discussed topics.
Cheers

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1974 450SL
228 Posts
Attached is a picture of the PS pump reservoir with the cover removed. You can see a bit of the SLS reservoir in the lower right for reference. The top off line is inside the PS reservoir. The cover is held on with a black cap. Lefty loosey. SLS should be filled up to the spring belt, I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 W124 200E (daily driver), 1988 C126 560SEC (weekend fun)
104 Posts
Most W126 guys use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) fluid in the power steering system.
The noise at total lock (not good for your pump btw.) sounds like low fluid.
The power steering pump is driven by one of the belts behind the radiator.
Inside the reservoir is a cast mark for normal fluid level.
The 'Attention Newbies, please read this: Welcome to the forum' announcement / tutorial on top of the W126 page has a link to the service manual, and shows how to search for often discussed topics.
Cheers
is ist safe to use the same fluid i use in the transmission in the power steering? Namely Mobil ATF?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
48,647 Posts
We use the same (red color) ATF fluid for the power steering system.
The 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial on top of the W126 page has the link to the Mercedes service manual.
Owners manual: fuels, coolants, lubricants,etc (page 95)
power steering: 1.2L = 1.3 U.S. qt, automatic transmission fluid for power steering.
Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
We use the same (red color) ATF fluid for the power steering system.
The 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial on top of the W126 page has the link to the Mercedes service manual.
Owners manual: fuels, coolants, lubricants,etc (page 95)
power steering: 1.2L = 1.3 U.S. qt, automatic transmission fluid for power steering.
Cheers

Bevo Lists only these products thats why i asked.

PRODUCTNAME PRINCIPAL
Fuchs Titan PSF Fuchs Petrolub AG, Mannheim/Deutschland
GONHER ATF DIID M 6.3 Lubricantes de América, S.A. de C.V., SANTA CATARINA/MEXICO
Gulf ATF MX Gulf Oil International, London/ENGLAND
Liqui Moly LENKGETRIEBE- ÖL 3100 Liqui Moly GmbH, Ulm/Deutschland
LUBRAL ATF DIID M 6.3 Lubricantes de América, S.A. de C.V., SANTA CATARINA/MEXICO
MB 236.3 Lenkgetriebeöl A 000 989 88 03 Daimler AG, Stuttgart/Deutschland
megol Lenkgetriebeoel Stability Meguin GmbH & Co. KG Mineraloelwerke, Saarlouis/Deutschland

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
761 Posts
I recently re-did my steering system, and I can say that the MB spec PS fluid (not MB branded) is noticeably thicker than the ATF. It's also a caramel colour rather than red. More greasy than ATF too and seems like it has less detergents. I can't remember the name, sorry but I can check.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,499 Posts
As to your SLS system (plastic reservior) you can use John Deer branded hydraulic fluid which sells cheaper than MB brand (which is an insane price over here from the dealer).
As Harlz mentions quality PS fluid from your auto shop would be my preferred option

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,685 Posts
Attached is a picture of the PS pump reservoir with the cover removed. You can see a bit of the SLS reservoir in the lower right for reference. The top off line is inside the PS reservoir. The cover is held on with a black cap. Lefty loosey. SLS should be filled up to the spring belt, I believe.
You are about a 1.4" low.
It should be between the plastic circle.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As to your SLS system (plastic reservior) you can use John Deer branded hydraulic fluid which sells cheaper than MB brand (which is an insane price over here from the dealer).
As Harlz mentions quality PS fluid from your auto shop would be my preferred option
We also have the Febi 02615 fluid as an alternative to MB fluid and it is cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.