Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd stick with ATF - it is also used in manual Mercedes gearboxes and there it really makes a difference. I'm not so sure if the steering boxes and the steering pumps are as fussy. If you do switch from something to something else make sure you don't go from a fatty oil to a mineral oil or vice versa because the seals can get eaten by the new oil type. Then you end up with a power steering watering can system!
There are two possibilities which could lead to leaks;

1 - The newer power steering fluids/atf are usually thinner fluids at rest because shearing effects them to a lesser degree than it did to the older Dexron II fluids originally used in these cars.

Thinner liquid equals there is a higher possibility of leakage.

2 - The newer oils can have additives which could harm older seals.

IMHO the major contributor is 1 and not 2. So I would guess it should be okay to substitute atf with ps fluid as long as the viscosity does not vary by too much?

·
Registered
1984 300TD
118 Posts
Kent Bergsma now recommends feb power steering fluid because of better lubrication after seeing numerous steering boxes worn to the point of needing replacement.
I used the centering bolt removal and swinging wheels left and right method too but did run the motor only until the sound of the pump indicated no more fluid then shut it off immediately. I had to drain and refill three or four times in a row with normal driving for a day or two in between each before the fluid remained clear and red. It continued to look like India ink. It must have been neglected for decades.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Kent is a dishonest person. He actively censors people that try to correct his bad advice or improve his credibility.

ATF is the correct fluid to use in these power steering. I have been using it for over 10 years in my car with no leaks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not even going to acknowledge such a lame attempt at trolling, just reporting to the mods and blocking you.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts