Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a better picture than this of the power steering cooler fixings.

I removed it three years ago with no intention of refitting it, however we recently had our hottest ever summer day and the steering went notchy, so I will now refit it.

For some reason the fixings don't seem at all obvious to me. Pity I welded up the holes so will need to re drill.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I worked it out, the picture I had was misleading.

Started with this.

Then on to a hole cutter.

Was hoping the spacing was correct.

The fixings were here.

Hole position was good.

The rubber bungs fit snugly.

Primer on the holes.

Then cooler cleaned up and primed.

Paint tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I didn't know we had PS fluid coolers. Maybe I don't on my 72?

I know I have one on my E320 because I have fixed the leaks!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's just a "pipe" but I guess it functions as a cooler. Glad you got it sorted. I rebuilt my pump and box, and replaced hoses, but didn’t touch the cooler. I probably should have at least checked it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got the cooler reconnected yesterday after a long search for a missing hose and did a steering flush and filter change.

Removed the old fluid with a turkey baster and cleaned out the pot.

The old filter was the original early MB reusable one, it has probably never been cleaned out.

I put in the new filter and flushed through about 2 1/2 litres of Febi PAS fluid and all worked well.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I put in the new filter and flushed through about 2 1/2 litres of Febi PAS fluid and all worked well.
I replaced the PS reservoir and flushed the PS on my 98 E320 a while back. When doing that, I had the choice of buying fluid from dealer or elsewhere. I also used FEBI.

One thing I found, was that the MB specs for PS fluid changed in about '99 or '00. My '98 car needed the older type. Febi makes several types, some synthetic and warn about mixing them. The one I used was non-synthetic and part 08972. That should also be good for our 107s. It's like old type ATF that was originally called for.

PS: RD, what type of lift is that in your garage? Maybe I could get one for my 80th (which is coming up!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
MBGraham
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing