Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300 TD -- given away
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mercedes dealer just told me that I need a new power steering box to remedy the slack in my steering column for a whopping $1300 plus $400 labor! I found the part a whole lot cheaper than that on an exchange. Is this difficult to change?

bfj

A

·
0 Posts
did u already set the play adjustment on it? sounds to me like they're trying to get u for ur money...

set it to the max setting, and see if that helps. if too much, give her a bit more play, and itll work. this part RARELY goes bad......

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
bfjones123 - 4/6/2005 6:01 PM

The Mercedes dealer just told me that I need a new power steering box to remedy the slack in my steering column for a whopping $1300 plus $400 labor! I found the part a whole lot cheaper than that on an exchange. Is this difficult to change?

bfj

Thats pretty expensive!! I was offered the same stuff for US$300, and it's guaranteed to eliminate the slack malady.

Have to save money though..
[V]

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Mercedessource.com has W123 300TD power steering boxes for $68.50, S&H is $14.50.
-Joe

·
Registered
1985 300 TD -- given away
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked a Mercedessource and did not find the power steering box you referred to. Can you direct me further?

bfj

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I couldn't find it there either. I may want to just buy one if I can get it that cheap. Could you maybe post a link to the box you're talking about?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts