Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just an observation, but I noticed that when driving the '09 it takes a lot less pressure to turn the stereing wheel compared to the '06. Several months ago I had asked the dealer about this and he said that all the MLs were this way.

So now the question I have is, has anybody else noticed this?

I'm trying to decide if I like this lighter touch. I guess it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jebb. Same experience with my previous 06 compared to my 08....it´s a huge difference and I almost feel the 08 to ´´light´´.

Eiki...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It is light to steer which I like; as if your just playing...

·
Registered
610 Posts
hmm, i drove the dealers 08 ML loaner earlier in the year, and didn't notice a difference (trust me, i notice everything)...

·
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jebb. Same experience with my previous 06 compared to my 08....it´s a huge difference and I almost feel the 08 to ´´light´´.

Eiki...
Thanks Eiki,

I had wondered about it. You are right, the '09 almost feels too light, like you are driving on ice. you don't get a lot of feedback from the road. :eek:

·
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, i drove the dealers 08 ML loaner earlier in the year, and didn't notice a difference (trust me, i notice everything)...
Thanks BigKutta,

At least I know there were two MLs that had this heavier feel to them ICEBENZ and mine. It is possible there was a change in the power steering pump during the production year. My original dealer in OKC always said that my pump sounded noisey, but not enough to change it.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Probably the new (no wear on tires) makes up most of the difference.

ML steering is okay with decent feel for a SUV, but ratio is a bit slow, steering wheel a bit too large in diameter and spokes are especially cheesy plastic. Doesn't the 2009 have a better steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I notice everything too, I'm an enthusiast that has owned way too many cars.:)

I suspect the difference they are noticing is tires (old and worn vs. new).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Several months ago I had asked the dealer about this and he said that all the MLs were this way.

So now the question I have is, has anybody else noticed this?

I'm trying to decide if I like this lighter touch. I guess it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it.
Andy, I find what your dealer said hard to believe. Firstly, I think that as always, they know less about the different options than many of us here do. Secondly, I did notice this during my test drives prior to purchasing the ML.

In Europe and in Canada, the only the Airmatic-equipped MLs come with Parameter Steering, which is speed sensitive. Unless the US ones are different, which I doubt, your dealer's statement alone is invalid as there are two types. This is one reason why I spec'ed out my vehicle with Airmatic, even though it was definitely not a cheap option!

·
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the new (no wear on tires) makes up most of the difference.

ML steering is okay with decent feel for a SUV, but ratio is a bit slow, steering wheel a bit too large in diameter and spokes are especially cheesy plastic. Doesn't the 2009 have a better steering wheel?
The steering wheel is basically the same. The new one has different buttons on it to accomdate the voice command controls and the horn pad is scuptured a little differently but essentially still the same.

Compared to my first MB, a 1980 300SD, the steering wheel is tiny.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Compared to my first MB, a 1980 300SD, the steering wheel is tiny.
Good point, those of us old enough to remember just how big those old Mercedes steering wheels were.:)

The ML steering wheel is large diameter compared to most current vehicles today. Those cheap little plastic dull-metal-looking spokes with sharp edges are crap.

·
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy, I find what your dealer said hard to believe. Firstly, I think that as always, they know less about the different options than many of us here do. Secondly, I did notice this during my test drives prior to purchasing the ML.

In Europe and in Canada, the only the Airmatic-equipped MLs come with Parameter Steering, which is speed sensitive. Unless the US ones are different, which I doubt, your dealer's statement alone is invalid as there are two types. This is one reason why I spec'ed out my vehicle with Airmatic, even though it was definitely not a cheap option!
I'm sure they didn't want to do anything with it which is why they said they were all the same. The new ML definitely has a much lighter touch than the '06 had.

Also, I had forgotten how much more positive feeling the 50 series tires are compared to the 55 series on the 06. My 03 had 50 serires tires with 18" wheels and that was a big improvement over the 17" wheels and tires. It really seems to go where you point it.

·
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point, those of us old enough to remember just how big those old Mercedes steering wheels were.:)

The ML steering wheel is large diameter compared to most current vehicles today. Those cheap little plastic dull-metal-looking spokes with sharp edges are crap.

I can't wait until they switch to a joystick. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts