Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to change the belts, actually a misplaced rag helped make the decision easier. I was able to do the alternator belt with little spilled blood, but the power steering belt seems small.

Can anyone tell me what the difference in size between a 12.5 x 818 and a 13 x 815 is. The 12.5 belt is the original size and the 13 is the replacement belt. I loosened up the PS pump and move the thing as low(close) as possible but the belt doesn't wanna go on. The original belt got broken but I compared it to the new one and it seem a little larger maybe an inch or so. I'd hate to buy a new belt just to go through this again and the belt I have is pretty good, the thing cost 15$.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks folks!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
The first number is top width. The second number is the belt's nominal outside length. They sold you a belt that is shorter, 815 verses 818. In addition, the wider top width causes the belt to ride higher in the pulley set, effectively shortening the belt further. Shoot that parts guy and buy MB.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I couldn't find that information for god or sex! I think I'll be getting a new belt tomorrow, if you overtorque a pulley kiss the bearing goodbye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts