·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I have a few questions.

Where is this filter?

The book calls for mercedes Benz power steering fluid. Can I use other fluid with out issues?

The book also says it takes 1.4 quarts is that correct.

Then where do I drain this all from...........

Good please help this isn't like the older benz I had. I used to have a 220 and a 230 the only difference was one was a 4spd and the other was an auto. I could work on them in my sleep. When I bought them the 220 had 88k and the 230 had 120k when I got ride of both of them they had 495k on the 220 and 390k on the 230 and they were hard miles because I was a kid. So guys please help me with is I am doing my best so far but this one kicks me in the butt!

Thanks

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
The filter is in the power steering reservoir. Unscrew the black knob on the lid, take out the filter, it has holes on top, and replace it. Unless the fluid is black, there is no need to replace it. You can suction out the fluid with a turkey baster and undo the hoses and drain the fluid. Add new fluid as necessary.

Nothing about these cars will kick you in the butt, Read the W126 DIY section at the top of the forum. There is another set of DIY instructions over at MercedesShop - Mercedes Benz Parts and Technical Information.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Hello Edward! Here is a picture of the filter ( about $4.50 plus $2.00 for the o-ring gasket). The filter is located at the bottom of the power steering resevoir. It slips over the center post and is held down with a spring and 10 mm nut or a clip depending on the make of your pump. Read the attatched write up...it is very precise and easy to follow.
The Unofficial MB Diesel DIY Pages

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Just to add a bit to the listed wiki, I empty the reservoir as much as possible, re-fill with clean fluid, start the car and cycle the wheel back and forth a number of time. Drain again and repeat this step usually 6-10 times..If the fluid is looking clear go ahead and install the new filter etc..otherwise keep @ it!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Just to add a bit to the listed wiki, I empty the reservoir as much as possible, re-fill with clean fluid, start the car and cycle the wheel back and forth a number of time. Drain again and repeat this step usually 6-10 times..If the fluid is looking clear go ahead and install the new filter etc..otherwise keep @ it!

Jonathan
That's exactly what I did. I went from red stuff to green so I could see pefectly when I was done.
Works like a charm.

gr J

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
that's typically what happens... I get calls from clients who are somewhere w/ no PS'ing fluid and I mention ATF (red) is OK..so when they come in it's Very easy to tell when flushing w/ clear fluid:)

Jonathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts