Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... I am a new member and new MB owner, having recently purchased a 1996 S600. It was originally purchased in Germany in '96, and imported into the US in 2000 with 32K miles. It was stored until 2003, and then registered in Massachusetts where I picked it up with 44K miles two weeks ago. It has a clean title and CarFax report.

Amazingly, the only problem I have with the car is the 6 CD changer in the trunk does not have any power at the harness. I cannot find any fuse that references this accessory (nor any that are blown) in either the engine (main) or trunk (aux) fuse panels. It doesn't help that much of the references / manuals are in German. Any ideas where I can look? Do I need to purchase a Schematic?

Appreciate any help / suggestions.

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out there is no fuse... the wire harness plugs directly into the radio unit where it gets its power. My problem is it was not so obvious because the wrong connector was on the harness and did not mate with the BE1692 radio/cassette installed in the vehicle. I found I had the old BP4902 APS unit in the trunk which did fit the three peice (tri-colored) connector, so it appears the CD Changer was not used since the radios were swapped. The APS unit does not work, so I am trying to find a way to adapt the connector to the radio. Requires a (black)10 port AMP plug, which I do not think I will find unless I go to a junk yard and splice the wires together. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1996 S600
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Success!

I have rerouted the wires from the original harness connector using small, insulated, female spade lugs that were the appropriate size for the wires and spades on the connector in the BP1692 Radio. I mapped out a wiring diagram for my own use that I would like to share if anyone has a similar issue in the future. I will attach file as jpg.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts