Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power Seat Motor Cable

22129 Views 18 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  konigstiger
My drivers seat lost the forward and back control. At first I thought the track might have a coin or something else restricting movement on the right track. When the control was pushed the seat would try to move and yawed or slightly twisted when the button was pressed. I took the car to a Mercedes repair shop (not dealer) and the mechanic found a short cable that had broken that is apparently called " Power Seat Motor Cable". This part is not sold separately, so I would have to buy a new seat track assembly for $2500 or a seat from a wrecking yard for $500 to get this small part. I've attached a picture of the actual part from my car as well as a picture of one I found on-line from China which shows how this cable attaches to the track gear. The description says "Power seat motor cable-01 for Mercedes W204 & W203 C Class" which looks identical to my part. I am assuming this is a part is used for all 2006-2009 C Class and E Class models.
Has anyone experienced a similar issue? If so, where did you find this part?
Thanks very much,
Jon

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2003 E320
268 Posts
There are several companies that sell flexible ratchet and screwdriver extensions that might work in your application depending upon how the gear box and motor terminate the power seat motor cable. I've included a typical URL below. Kajtec1 has mentioned using junk yard parts which you've already noted. This may be a case where necessity is the mother of invention unless you can find a Chinese clone replacement part before tariffs and IP problems get in the way :0).

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-3-Pi...76&sr=8-7&keywords=flexible+ratchet+extension

· Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem

This is the newest discussion I can find on this topic, so I hope my post helps other W204 owners that face the same challenge. Took my 2008 Sport model to the car wash a few days ago...they ran the seat all the way forward over a loose object underneath and shoved the fore-aft drive motor out of it's bracket, damaging the short flex-shaft in the process. There are replacement units from China that you can order online for 40-50 USD, but that price seems unreasonable for what you are getting. The specs are 64mm long with 3.18mm square ends...that's 1/8 inch square...so I wondered if that shaft needed to be flexible at all.... A quick trip to the hardware store had me home with a 1/8 inch square, 12-inch long stick of steel - labeled "1/8 in key stock" - for 1.20 USD. I cut a piece to match the length of the original flex-shaft, then used my angle grinder to round the tips a bit. My first try was slightly long and did not allow the rubber motor mounts to touch the mounting bracket, so I pulled it out, shaved off a bit with the grinder, and popped it back in - no force fit necessary. I tied the motor down with a couple of over-sized zip ties - it's more secure than when it was new, and everything was easy to get at and repair I found out the bottom of the seat comes out with only two screws.

The dealer wants $1100, local scrapper wants $500, E-bay wants $200, Chinese importers want $45...all for a problem I fixed for less than $2. The only drawback I can find is that that the seat vibrates a little more when in motion. Time will tell if I cause undue wear on the motor, but I don't think it will be a problem (and I can replace that part for $80 on Amazon )

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem

This is the newest discussion I can find on this topic, so I hope my post helps other W204 owners that face the same challenge. Took my 2008 Sport model to the car wash a few days ago...they ran the seat all the way forward over a loose object underneath and shoved the fore-aft drive motor out of it's bracket, damaging the short flex-shaft in the process. There are replacement units from China that you can order online for 40-50 USD, but that price seems unreasonable for what you are getting. The specs are 64mm long with 3.18mm square ends...that's 1/8 inch square...so I wondered if that shaft needed to be flexible at all.... A quick trip to the hardware store had me home with a 1/8 inch square, 12-inch long stick of steel - labeled "1/8 in key stock" - for 1.20 USD. I cut a piece to match the length of the original flex-shaft, then used my angle grinder to round the tips a bit. My first try was slightly long and did not allow the rubber motor mounts to touch the mounting bracket, so I pulled it out, shaved off a bit with the grinder, and popped it back in - no force fit necessary. I tied the motor down with a couple of over-sized zip ties - it's more secure than when it was new, and everything was easy to get at and repair I found out the bottom of the seat comes out with only two screws.

The dealer wants $1100, local scrapper wants $500, E-bay wants $200, Chinese importers want $45...all for a problem I fixed for less than $2. The only drawback I can find is that that the seat vibrates a little more when in motion. Time will tell if I cause undue wear on the motor, but I don't think it will be a problem (and I can replace that part for $80 on Amazon )

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem

\
This worked Awesome !! Thanks Steve for the advice!!

· Registered
2 Posts
THANK YOUUUUUU SO MUCH!!! Wow. I was quoated like $3,000 to replace the whole seat and have had it not working for over a year now. Started looking again to see if I can fix it somehow, found this post and it worked perfectly!!!

I couldn't find the 1/8 inch x 12 inch zinc stock at home depot it said out of stock, but I was able to find the same thing at tractor supply store for $2.99

For someone who stumbles upon this what you need:

Torx T-30 for the 2 screws under the seat

Take those 2 screws out and the seat lifts out.
you don't need to unplug any of the wires / clips.

cut off the zip tie around the seat motor.

pull the motor back and pull out the seat motor cable 01

measure out a piece onto the zinc stock

I didn't have an angle grinder I bought a rotary tool from walmart for $20 which had cutoff disks and grinding pads

I cut the piece about as long as the piece from the car. It doesn't have to be perfectt
grind down a bit on each side to round it down. take a look at the end of the cable you pulled out for a similar shape
the side that goes into the motor doesn't have to be ground down as much.

slide it in, it might still feel like its loose and not a tight fit, but it should still work.

it might be easier to slide in the motor end first then slide the other side into the bracket.

test it and it should be good. Reattach zip ties around the motor. put seat back on and the front screws back on.

again thank you to this forum!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
THANK YOUUUUUU SO MUCH!!! Wow. I was quoated like $3,000 to replace the whole seat and have had it not working for over a year now. Started looking again to see if I can fix it somehow, found this post and it worked perfectly!!!

I couldn't find the 1/8 inch x 12 inch zinc stock at home depot it said out of stock, but I was able to find the same thing at tractor supply store for $2.99

I didn't have an angle grinder I bought a rotary tool from walmart for $20 which had cutoff disks and grinding pads

I cut the piece about as long as the piece from the car. It doesn't have to be perfectt
grind down a bit on each side to round it down. take a look at the end of the cable you pulled out for a similar shape

slide it in, it might still feel like its loose and not a tight fit, but it should still work.

it might be easier to slide in the motor end first then slide the other side into the bracket.

test it and it should be good. Reattach zip ties around the motor. put seat back on and the front screws back on.

Forgot to post pics

· Registered
2006 ML500
63 Posts
Glad I found this forum. Please help me to resolve my similar problem too.
On my 2006 ML500, front passenger seat, the longer motor shaft is not centered on the hole on the slider rail and it's stuck; doesn't pull out. I'm thinking the gear worm may have been warped and grabbed the end of the flex shaft. The short shaft is fine.
How do I get the worm gear out. Tried to remove the track by removing the 3 screws, but it didn't want to move a dash!
So please let know how I can get this resolved. Thanks

· Registered
99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
112 Posts
Glad I found this forum. Please help me to resolve my similar problem too.
On my 2006 ML500, front passenger seat, the longer motor shaft is not centered on the hole on the slider rail and it's stuck; doesn't pull out. I'm thinking the gear worm may have been warped and grabbed the end of the flex shaft. The short shaft is fine.
How do I get the worm gear out. Tried to remove the track by removing the 3 screws, but it didn't want to move a dash!
So please let know how I can get this resolved. Thanks
If your gear is gone replace the rail.
Had same problem on my 09 eclass, end up grabbing the a replacement rail. From junkyard, pick n pull only 17.99$!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
My drivers seat lost the forward and back control. At first I thought the track might have a coin or something else restricting movement on the right track. When the control was pushed the seat would try to move and yawed or slightly twisted when the button was pressed. I took the car to a Mercedes repair shop (not dealer) and the mechanic found a short cable that had broken that is apparently called " Power Seat Motor Cable". This part is not sold separately, so I would have to buy a new seat track assembly for $2500 or a seat from a wrecking yard for $500 to get this small part. I've attached a picture of the actual part from my car as well as a picture of one I found on-line from China which shows how this cable attaches to the track gear. The description says "Power seat motor cable-01 for Mercedes W204 & W203 C Class" which looks identical to my part. I am assuming this is a part is used for all 2006-2009 C Class and E Class models.
Has anyone experienced a similar issue? If so, where did you find this part?
Thanks very much,
Jon
It just happened to my passenger side. Did you ever get the part? And did it work ?

· Registered
1 Posts

How do you get bottom of seat to flip up like that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts