Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the driver's seat from the E420 today to try and fix a problem with it raising only on one side. I have now removed the base but can't figure out how to remove the cable, either from the motor side or the gear side. My base looks like this, the motor that does the front tilting is the one closest to the rear, the cable comes back to the right side front. Thanks

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Be extra careful when you assemble the gearbox... the assembly screws are very fine pitch thread and the aluminum block is very soft. I stripped out 2 of the threads and had to use the Permatex thread kit to recover them... was lucky too. Pack the gearbox with the proper Mercedes Glide Paste (Gleitpaste). Don't use a heavy axle grease or lithium grease as it will make a huge mess and every little bit of dirt will be attracted to it and it will consequently shorten the life of your gearbox. Someone was selling the Gleitpaste in film tins so you might want to look that up. I still have a quart of it stashed for personal consumption.

Also, there is a chance that the worm gear the cable slots into is rounded out. In this case, you can try to buy another worm gear or you'll have to buy the entire gearbox assembly :eek:

I fixed it with a little JB Weld that was mixed and put into the worm gear (which was cleaned in solvent first). Then I sprayed PAM onto the new cable square end and waited a few minutes for the JB Weld to start setting. Put the cable into the JB Weld and presto... leave everything alone for 20 hrs and you've mended the worm gear!

Just saying... if this is your predicament, that its not expensive find a permanent fix.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I eventually figured it out--remove the covers. I inspected the worm gear and cable all looked good. I then manually raises the bad side so the seat was tilted evenly. I put the base in the car plugged in the 3 connectors and watched the seat movements. All looked ok so I reassembled the seat I including wasted hours trying to put the back on the outside of the base but all is back together now.

For anyone removing their seat a 10mm 1/4 inch socket with a wobble really helps

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
214 Posts
My cables were fine, and how I fixed mine. The purpose was to give the cable an extra little length to engage
by shortening the sheath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts