Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon--218K miles, 1995 E320 Sedan--101K miles, 1994 E500 Sedan--78K miles
194 Posts
Common problem.

Reengaging flexible drive shaft will work for a while, eventually, the inner shaft will again migrate out of the drive gear (or motor) and you'll have the same problem again.

The DIY fix is to shorten the the outer housing of the drive cable by about 3/8 of an inch. To do this drill the crimps of the end sleeve, remove the sleeve, cut off 3/8 inch of outer housing, reinstall sleeve, recrimp where sleeve metal has not been drilled.

Another fix is to insert a short piece of piano wire (or nail of proper diameter) in both drive and motor end. This prevents the square inner cable end from migrating out of the motor and/or drive assembly.

I may have posted about this on peachparts several years ago, do a search and you should find it.

By the way, the seat has to be removed and partially disassembled to accomplish this fix.

J. M. van Swaay

·
Registered
1988 300TE 280,000 Miles
198 Posts
Common problem.

Reengaging flexible drive shaft will work for a while, eventually, the inner shaft will again migrate out of the drive gear (or motor) and you'll have the same problem again.

The DIY fix is to shorten the the outer housing of the drive cable by about 3/8 of an inch. To do this drill the crimps of the end sleeve, remove the sleeve, cut off 3/8 inch of outer housing, reinstall sleeve, recrimp where sleeve metal has not been drilled.

Another fix is to insert a short piece of piano wire (or nail of proper diameter) in both drive and motor end. This prevents the square inner cable end from migrating out of the motor and/or drive assembly.

I may have posted about this on peachparts several years ago, do a search and you should find it.

By the way, the seat has to be removed and partially disassembled to accomplish this fix.

J. M. van Swaay
Thanx! Good description.

·
Registered
2006 C350 4MATIC
36 Posts
Is there a MB part number for just the drive cable? I have the same problem on the seat going forwards and backwards. I can see where the drive cable attaches to a gear near the seatbelt assembly that the cable is frizzled and broken right at that point.

I do not need the motor, The right side of the seat goes forwards and backwards just fine. It is the door side that has a broken drive cable.

If MB can give us a part number for the motor I wonder what it is for the drive cable.

I am not thrilled with the JB Weld route. The damage to the cable leads me to believe that it would only be a temporary band-aid at best.

If you have access, can someone provide the part number for the cable? (2006, W203, C350 with memory seats).

thanks,
Ms. Tisha Hayes

·
Registered
1983 240d - 1985 300d - 1984 280sel
393 Posts
Is there a MB part number for just the drive cable? I have the same problem on the seat going forwards and backwards. I can see where the drive cable attaches to a gear near the seatbelt assembly that the cable is frizzled and broken right at that point.

I do not need the motor, The right side of the seat goes forwards and backwards just fine. It is the door side that has a broken drive cable.

If MB can give us a part number for the motor I wonder what it is for the drive cable.

I am not thrilled with the JB Weld route. The damage to the cable leads me to believe that it would only be a temporary band-aid at best.

If you have access, can someone provide the part number for the cable? (2006, W203, C350 with memory seats).

thanks,
Ms. Tisha Hayes
JB weld has worked great for me! It's been a month or two since I fixed mine with this method, and it's still holding up great, and I adjust the seat frequently. If the cable is expensive, you may as well try this first as a quick fix and see if it lasts. Only took me 15 minutes to disassemble, JBweld, and reassemble. Not sure if the location of your broken gear/ cable will be as easy to access.

·
Registered
2008 R500 5.5 l.
40 Posts
Hi all, I'm facing the exact same issue with spoilt cables... Did anyone manage to order only the cables?

Rest, I didn't get how you guys fixed it, what is a "JB weld" actually?

·
Registered
1994 e320 coupe (sold), 1990 300CE ($400 beater)
749 Posts
Hi all, I'm facing the exact same issue with spoilt cables... Did anyone manage to order only the cables?

Rest, I didn't get how you guys fixed it, what is a "JB weld" actually?
Why order the cables if it's just a matter of the gear drive popping out?

https://www.jbweld.com

·
Registered
2008 R500 5.5 l.
40 Posts
Thank you. So it's actually a 2 component glue. And what do you glue? At the moment, both cables do not even enter because they are messed up. Not sure what I should glue and how...?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,638 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R500 5.5 l.
40 Posts
Thank you for that, I read the whole thread a couple of times and found it very interesting, although my issue is somewhat different: My R500 is experiencing the same symptom (only one side moving), although from a different origin: from what I could see, the worm gear is totally fine, it is the cable that got damaged (not bore). Many threads of the cable came out, and now it won't fit back to place. Mercedes won't sell just the cable, they only propose the full set with the motor. So I'm up to trying to fix it myself.

Anyone with a suggestion? My initial idea was to remove the extra threads to make it thin enough to fit again inside the worm gear, and then glue them all together. But thinning the cable might render it weak and the glueing business is also not so great for reasons already mentioned above.

Looking for a good advice.

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
209 Posts
This was how I fixed mine per the PeachParts article by letting the cable length "reach" more.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts