Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a DVD system in my 1998 ML320. I tried copying a similar setup (Thanks to Jim), but the fusebox is located in the engine compartment for my ML320 instead of on the passenger side kickpanel (ML430).

I managed to mounted the headrest monitors and dvd player, but I did not wire it to a power source yet. I wasn't sure if I should run 10awg wire (fused) directly to the battery or from the fusebox located in the engine compartment on the driver's side.

Could someone recommend the best place for a power source?

Thanks

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,288 Posts
I installed an overhead screen and patched into the cigarette lighter for power and have had no problems (it also powers my radar detector). My DVD player is mounted under the back seat and is not hard-wired for power; it’s plugged into the cargo area 12V port. I did this to make the player easily removable for when I fold the back seats flat and also so the player can be used in a hotel on vacation an such.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML320
25 Posts
that's what i did to mine too. the dvd players and monitor were using power from the cigarette lighter from the front under the glove box. i tap into the wires from the inside leaving the lighter still available for use. it wont fuse out if you dont overload the lighter. i'll post my pics for my car in the forum dvd player to bose system but need help. i guess you can get some info from there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome guys! My initial thought was to tap into those power sources (12V sockets in front and rear), but I thought about how it might overload the fuses. I guess you can always switch to a higher fuse rating.

Boy, doing it the way you guys are describing would save me time and money. It would also make it easier for me to remove the system if I wanted to transfer it to a new car (like the W164 perhaps). =)

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts