Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16,761 Posts
Once you get your parts together, take it a hydraulic shop or mobile machine shop to press on the end fittings.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Happy again; found the collars I needed on the oil cooler lines on a '71 4.5 engine I have been saving. They appear to be "High Performance" spec as they are aluminium..... I will use my Dremel with that cute saw blade; good idea! I assume once I get the correct type / length hose I can do the assembly myself with no special tools?
Yes, I used pipe wrenches, a chain wrench and a good vice. I did a write up of it all in here. If you find the old thread, just read the procedure and not what follows about the possible noise from the Gates hose. I went back & forth with some joker who in the end, confessed he didn't even have SLS.

No, you don't press anything in this hose rehab, just reuse all of the fittings.

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes, I used pipe wrenches, a chain wrench and a good vice. I did a write up of it all in here. If you find the old thread, just read the procedure and not what follows about the possible noise from the Gates hose. I went back & forth with some joker who in the end, confessed he didn't even have SLS.

No, you don't press anything in this hose rehab, just reuse all of the fittings.

Kevin
Anyone have the Gates or Aeroquip hose type / part number? I have a ton of Parker and Dayco 3K-4K psi available here but all is steel reinforced.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I don't, been too many yrs unless I specify in my write-up. I would buy something more supple than the Gates with the same rating. Steve thinks Aeroquip is what the factory used.

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I will wander out on the factory floor and do some shopping. All our hose seems much stiffer but it is also new. Worst case scenario is I need to do it again with a different hose but now I know how to R&R it quickly. I love my 4-post lift.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I found some Gates that will work; overkill at 5K psi rating. And to paraphrase Monty Python "it ain't got much steel in it". I'll let ya'll know how it turns out next week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Spent 30 minutes trying to extricate the little plastic "thingys" destroying them in the process so decided to put it together without them. Got it all back together with no issue, topped up the reservoir and fired it up. All perfect; no noise at all. Took it for a spirited drive around the mountain, checked for leaks and fluid level then declared total success and retired to a day of college football (Go Bucks!) and beer. Decided to drive it into work this morning so hopped in fired it up and got a VERY noticeable whining from under the hood in time with revs. Popped the hood and put my hands on the hose and steel pipe and confirmed it as the source. Kinda like a playing card in the spokes of a bike at a very high speed..... Turned up the Doobie Brothers and drove the 25 miles to work. Parked the car and listened for the noise I thought was maybe subsiding as I was driving but really couldn't hear it anymore once parked. Just went out to lunch to fill the tank and now it seems to be totally gone. Fluid level did appear to go down just a little. Maybe trapped air? Gotta 25 mile drive home; if no noise I will declare it fixed permanently.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I don't think so....my guess is that it will be back, timed with your RPM's. I'm told it sounds like you have a turbocharger. I 'd like to say it will disappear over time, but I don't think so. Prove me wrong!

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
If it does come back maybe I will add that 1000 watt sub-woofer I always wanted in the wagons spare tire cover!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Lol!!

Even though I had success with my Gates hose.....on the strength of what others said, I just defect now to recommend the factory hose. But that's becoming harder to find, if not impossible..

How did you destroy the reptilian segments....dug too deep with the cut-off wheel? I swear I used nothing more than a razor knife to cut that factory hose lengthwise. Whether or not it took a long time or there was swearing and alcohol involved, I don't remember.

You could still pull a JY hose off a SLS 124 and start over for the reptile parts.:sneaky:

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The hose was brittle and an exacto had little affect so in came he whiz wheel...... The drive home will let me decide if any further action is required. All the hydraulic engineers here (forklift mast manufacturer) say the noise was the pump cavitating on an air pocket. That explained why it was quiet for a while at first until the air came back around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
If there is any additional noise I certainly cannot tell after 100 miles. It appears all is well. 8 years ago I replaced the entire exhaust system (aftermarket) including the cats and the car definitely got a little louder; in a pleasant way. Originally there were 2 cats and the new stainless steel pipe only had one; I called and they said that was all that was needed as the cat was much more efficient than the old 2. They were based in CA. so I assumed it was ok; 8+ years later I gotta agree they were right. Bottom line is I am done with this fix for another 400K I hope..... I can also say about everyone was right to some degree as maybe there is a perceivable hum in a bone stock all MB perfectly maintained car with the air off and windows closed but that ain't our car. We will have the dogs back in it this weekend; maybe they can hear something! Thanks again all!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
UPDATE: After the car sits several days the hum from the SLS hose is noticeable for the first 15 minutes then it dissipates into an acceptable (for me) level. That said I will try to see if I can buy those little plastic hose inserts from M-B Classic Center to see if I can change to a non-steel reinforced hose nearer the 2000 psi rating. The 5000 psi rating was definitely overkill but it did get the car back in use; can't always be in the SLK's.....

41 - 60 of 60 Posts