Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I'd pay the $100 just to save the time. A thread I was on said it was like $500 Euro...... NO! Wouldn't happen to have a part# and a source handy wouldja??

Mark

Yes....go to Pelican Parts right now and plug in your car & yr. There is the OE cap for $160....best price I've seen. Even the other Spanish Bosch cap is now $90.

OMG though, they want $105 for the OE rotor....WTF?

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes....go to Pelican Parts right now and plug in your car & yr. There is the OE cap for $160....best price I've seen. Even the other Spanish Bosch cap is now $90.

OMG though, they want $105 for the OE rotor....WTF?

Kevin

I did Pelican and no suspension hoses were listed at all. The cap and rotor will be fine as is; no damage or tracking was evident once it cleaned up. Saw one on ebay new but no picture just a part# and it was only $40 which made me suspicious....

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
That's the Spanish cap....I've had two; the first one carbon tracked and the second is in service. I haven't looked for the hose in some time. Always use the MB number when looking for parts. Sometimes they have the part, but it's not listed online. Since parts.com crapped out with the MB network of parts, it's now about 'wherever' you can find OE parts.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks Geek; I looked there and it showed diesel parts; found a diagram in the (others looked") with the power steering / suspension pump shown and the hose I need (#7) clearly indicated but no listing of availability...... Looking like "home made" is the only option. Anyone know what the max pressure is offhand? Maybe its listed in one of my manuals.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Thanks Geek; I looked there and it showed diesel parts; found a diagram in the (others looked") with the power steering / suspension pump shown and the hose I need (#7) clearly indicated but no listing of availability...... Looking like "home made" is the only option. Anyone know what the max pressure is offhand? Maybe its listed in one of my manuals.
Figure your hose blank to be rated at least 2,000psi. Anything less and you're inviting failure lonterm. The problem is the noise factor even if you reuse all those little pastic sound deadners. That's why I tell everyone now to get the factory hose if at all possible. I didn't get the noise but others swear they did.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
I hate diagrams like that....they're almost imaginary. Maybe it's supposed to be #9 because they are calling it a "pressure hose"? But they show it as short which it is not....it starts at the bottom of the pump, goes under the engine and back up to the passenger wheel well. Everything else is "tubes".

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Kevin, There is another diagram that clearly shows the power steering pump but again; no other info on that hose. Appears the only available hose is for the cam driven pumps on later gas and the diesel models. What type hose did you end up that did not cause you appreciable noise? I work in the fork lift industry and have access to all manner of hose and crimping equipment 100 feet away from my desk...... I am leaning for a rubber (instead of thermoplastic) cover hose with as little steel cord as possible; all have 3000psi+ rating. Any temporary bypass I can do to keep the car mobile if not really in use? I have plenty of other drivers so no real issue leaving it parked.
Mark

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Kevin, There is another diagram that clearly shows the power steering pump but again; no other info on that hose. Appears the only available hose is for the cam driven pumps on later gas and the diesel models. What type hose did you end up that did not cause you appreciable noise? I work in the fork lift industry and have access to all manner of hose and crimping equipment 100 feet away from my desk...... I am leaning for a rubber (instead of thermoplastic) cover hose with as little steel cord as possible; all have 3000psi+ rating. Any temporary bypass I can do to keep the car mobile if not really in use? I have plenty of other drivers so no real issue leaving it parked.
Mark
The trouble with the Gates hose is its stiffness which sets up for vibration noise. If Steve is correct and the OE hose is Areoquip, use/find it. You want a supple hose if possible rated to 3,000+psi. The factory hose is much more pliable than the Gates blank. I was looking for the most durable hose and ignored the harmonic/noise issue.

By comparison, I thought the factory hose felt chintzy, but the Germans are more wily than that....usually. And don't forget to transfer all those reptilian segmented inserts that are in your OE hose.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The trouble with the Gates hose is its stiffness which sets up for vibration noise. If Steve is correct and the OE hose is Areoquip, use/find it. You want a supple hose if possible rated to 3,000+psi. The factory hose is much more pliable than the Gates blank. I was looking for the most durable hose and ignored the harmonic/noise issue.

By comparison, I thought the factory hose felt chintzy, but the Germans are more wily than that....usually. And don't forget to transfer all those reptilian segmented inserts that are in your OE hose.

Kevin
All sounds good; how did you get the "all those reptilian segmented inserts" out of the old hose? Also; it appears I could have basically "unscrewed" the old hose from the end fittings; is that a correct observation now that I have destroyed the outer collar? Please say no.....

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Yes, the ends all unscrew to reuse in a new hose.:)

I cut the old hose open to get the segments out. Depends on the age of the hose.....you might be able to push them out....I couldn't. The segments are colored differently too (of course....couldn't be easy).....I don't know if that's a humorous trick on the German's part, or it has some significance.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, the ends all unscrew to reuse in a new hose.:)

I cut the old hose open to get the segments out. Depends on the age of the hose.....you might be able to push them out....I couldn't. The segments are colored differently too (of course....couldn't be easy).....I don't know if that's a humorous trick on the German's part, or it has some significance.

Kevin
Hope I have another similar type hose in the collection to cannibalize the collars........power steering maybe?
About how many of the segments are there?

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
Hope I have another similar type hose in the collection to cannibalize the collars........power steering maybe?
About how many of the segments are there?

Mark
It's a full tail of reptilian segments..... and they are arranged in color groups. Like I said, nobody even over at peachparts talks about the segments other than replacing them as per the original. The guess was that they help deaden any sound resonance. A few owners said they left them out. Some of the 'over engineered' stuff can be left out....not sure in this case.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So blowing them out with compressed air is unlikely in addition to trying to figure out the color sequence once I am done gathering them up from the far corners of the shop? I measured the hose at 53" so filleting it with a knife that entire length doesn't sound like any fun. May take the evening off as I'm bummed about destroying the collars needlessly.

·
Premium Member
10,096 Posts
So blowing them out with compressed air is unlikely in addition to trying to figure out the color sequence once I am done gathering them up from the far corners of the shop? I measured the hose at 53" so filleting it with a knife that entire length doesn't sound like any fun. May take the evening off as I'm bummed about destroying the collars needlessly.
A couple of things.....I don't remember slicing the length of the hose as an unsavory experience, although I tend to forget the bad ones. I think using compressed air would be a bad thing, yes. If you could seal off one end and get them to start moving with compressed air, then maybe......definitely not in leaving the other end open to shoot out lizard parts.

If you have good hand experience with a Dremel and cut-off wheel, as Steve said that might be a good choice. I think the age of the hose, coupled with all the heat cycles from hydraulic usage has made the segments want to stick to the hose.....nothing more sinster than that. Should you keep the same color grouping and order (?)......I have no idea. In hindsight if I thought that was important, I should have snapped some pics with my phone.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Happy again; found the collars I needed on the oil cooler lines on a '71 4.5 engine I have been saving. They appear to be "High Performance" spec as they are aluminium..... I will use my Dremel with that cute saw blade; good idea! I assume once I get the correct type / length hose I can do the assembly myself with no special tools?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
6 Participants
Mark Dawley
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing