Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1987 230GE
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to put my key in the drivers door lock and when turned used to lock or unlock the passenger door as well! VERY NICE. I think it also activated the small green light on dash also. For some reason it doesn't do it anymore and it bugs me. You used to hear something on the other side of truck ssliiiide and go 'glunk',, and it would lift or lower the door lock. Now,, nothing.

I know it's only a Mercedes but I want it perfect!!

Off topic /// Am considering purchase '05 Grand Cherokee Ltd w/Hemi and all options. New body style, Range Rover look. Anyone own or drive these? Recommendations?

BTW Saw a 2005 Range Rover in St.Augustine this weekend,,, ~WOW~

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Unfortunately, the only way is probably to electrically troubleshoot the whole locking system. I'd start with the fuse panel and make sure all of those are in good condition. Then I'd inspect the wires that go from the body into the door to see if they've gotten brittle and broken. Next I'd pull the interior panels off the two doors and start with the driver's door. Is there power to the switch that gets made when you turn the key? Is the switch closing properly to put power to an "output" contact? Then is power getting to the passenger side somewhere? And is the passenger side ground in good shape? Any time you answer "no" then next figure out "why".

I stopped by a local LR dealer on Saturday as they were supposed to be having a "heritage day" with a bunch of old series trucks around. The whimps cancelled it due to a little cold damp weather (which I argued with the marketing guy is EXACTLY what LR heritage is based in....to no avail). But since there was nothing "interesting" to look at, I busied myself and the kids ckecking out the new Range Rover and LR3. Fancy fancy. About the only thing I lusted after in the whole mess was the slide out cargo floor int he LR3. I could definitely put one of those to good use in the G. Might have to look into it.

All the best,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
"Green Light"

Sorry about the locks not working. I too like the sound of the auto-locks and the Green Light.

What is the Green Light for? I had hopes it was a security system, but somehow I don't think it is. Anyone know????

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
idu,

Well, my sedan has power locks, and they are vacuum servo driven. I suspect that the G has a similar system? Likely electrical and vacuum.

The one occasion that I had trouble on my W123, it was a fuse contact issue. Then ok again.

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
RE: "Green Light"

The green light is origonally wired into the trailer wiring exactly what it's supposed to tell you? I'm not sure but I had the same question when I first bought my truck. Still today, I've never seen it illuminate.

Richard

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
RE: "Green Light"

MazWest - 5/6/2005 6:58 AM

The green light is origonally wired into the trailer wiring exactly what it's supposed to tell you? I'm not sure but I had the same question when I first bought my truck. Still today, I've never seen it illuminate.

Richard
If it is the light with the double arrows in the photo below, it will flash when you use your turn signals while a trailer is connected. It is there to indicate that the trailer flashers are working properly.

It will also flash when you activate the 4 way emergency flashers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 300 GD STT LWB
585 Posts
On Euro 460's with central locking, there is a small green led on the far left of the instrument cluster. It will light up when the central locking circuit is closed (all door are locked).

The wires get brittle and stiff over time and break. Mine gave in last year and I'm currently tracing wires, a really tedious job...

·
Registered
1987 230GE
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems the non-modified 460's have that small green LED on the lower left portion of the dash, as does mine. It's funny cuz when I first got my wagon I noticed the light coming on and IK didn't know what it was for until one day I noticed as I locked the truck the slide and 'thumblink' sounded and when I walked around the truck was locked! I have to check the fuses and start there as that is a great feature to NOT lose.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive in case it clicks for someone.

Sal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts