Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R350 IRIDIUM SILVER
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 R350... I have had minor issues in the past with the tailgate not locking when it closes, but with some minor adjustments, it has worked.

My NEW issue with the power liftgate is that it does not open. It sounds as though the latches unlock, but the liftgate does not rise. When I unlock the liftgate using the emergency release lever from the interior, and lift the tailgate manually, it works normally to close again. But then it does not open again.

I have read other threads, but many of them get hijacked with other liftgate issues, so it's hard to tell if anyone has resolved an issue like mine.

I am hoping that someone has had the same issue and could tell me what parts were replaced or what adjustments were made.

·
Registered
R500
19 Posts
maybe

I have a 2006 r500, latches would unlock but would not open. I could raise manually but it would not stay up. I had a big $1500 bellyache, instead, my battery was weak. Replaced battery and everything works fine.

·
Registered
2008 R350 | E46 M3
142 Posts
I have a 2006 r500, latches would unlock but would not open. I could raise manually but it would not stay up. I had a big $1500 bellyache, instead, my battery was weak. Replaced battery and everything works fine.
What??? $1,500 to replace battery? On the liftgate, I was quoted $500 to replace locking mechanism.

·
Registered
R500
19 Posts
maybe

I think I was misunderstood. I thought the liftgate repair was going to be around 1500, however, the battery was weak. Replaced battery for 200 and lift gate problem fixed. The gate would not lift nor stay up before battery change. Just trying to give one more thing to check off before tearing into liftgate.

·
Registered
'07 R320
148 Posts
......... When I unlock the liftgate using the emergency release lever from the interior, and lift the tailgate manually, it works normally to close again. But then it does not open again.

I had the exact same issue. I replaced the latch myself a $350 part. It fixed the issue 100%.

The latch is easy to replace....you have to take out the interior trim from the tailgate. It all comes off in one piece...pretty unnerving to pull that thing off. I used plastic pry bars from harbor freight. I thought I will break off some things but everything is OK.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts