Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to explain to a friend the difference between the G320 and the G55...
The best way I could compare the power differece was
"Imagine The G320 in Low Gear, then floor it!"

It makes me think, Does a G55 even need a low gear?
You would shred the tires before stopping the G55...

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
the G55 only needs low gears for off-road - if you don't go there, you don't need it.
Low range is there to create more torque in combination with lower speeds.
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/crawl.html
Think of a mountain bike and you'll understand.

Harald

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
low range is also for control, correct? It's easier to control you speed or RPM when you in the low gear.

If i were short term towing of somethinge REALLY heavy... significantly more than it's rated for, i think i'd use the low range even in a G55k, because it significantly reduces the load on the gears... axles and drive shafts still take what you give it but much of the gear train "should" be getting a reduction in stress.

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
4x4abc - 3/12/2005 3:49 AM

the G55 only needs low gears for off-road - if you don't go there, you don't need it.
Low range is there to create more torque in combination with lower speeds.
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/crawl.html
Think of a mountain bike and you'll understand.

Harald
Harald has provided you with the technical/intellectual explanation... now let me tell you the practical one:

I also use low range for picking up my son from preparatory (private) school. The low range in my G, in combination with my (almost) free-flow air filter and my custom-made stainless steel exhaust scares the sh*t out of all those soccer moms in their X5s, Cayennes, Touaregs and Volvo SUVs when I enter into the school compound at full revs.... and my grin gets even bigger when I tell my son what all those poor (posh) people paid for their useless motors, compared with the 6 grand that I paid for my pride and joy.

I just love it! [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
'82 300 GD Cab STT ('02 G270CDi/'85 300 GD SWB)
473 Posts
Well, as the t-case of all the post-2001-Gs I've driven automatically shifts high-range over 40 km/h it wont be much of a show[:D][8D] Your son would also be late for school at such speeds[:D]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Erik is right - low range for towing is a wonderful thing. Thanks to the MB engineers this feature is available in all Mercedes with 4WD. Around town from traffic light to traffic light with a heavy load? No sweat. Low range is the answer. Why stress engine, torque converter and transmission with a 7000lb load?

Can't do it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee ("the pioneer in four-wheeling" - yeah right!) because their low range is part time 4WD and their high range is not even 4WD.

Harald

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys Guys Guys....
Must everything be so literal? [:D][:D][:D]

It was just to give my friend an idea that it's more than double the HP. My G320 is 210HP and the G55 is 469HP. WOW! Since the low gears are 2:1, it would show the idea of double the HP (but with a very short range).

I personally don't recommend doing this. I don't think that it's good for the transmission, and don't think that the transmission could shift that fast either.

Chuck

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Chuck,

I have to disappoint you - horsepower does not change a bit.
http://4x4abc.com/jeep101/torque.html

In low range torque will increase by the factor 2.156 - HP will stay the same. By the way, torque moves your truck, not HP.

Harald

1 - 8 of 8 Posts