Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02' ML270 CDI
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
I've got power folding mirrors on my 02 ml270. So when I push the folding button the mirrors close but both sides hits 2-3 times to the glass, it dosent stop when the mirror is fully folded, both mirrors force to close 1 or 2 seconds more, its not a big problem for me but I wonder is this same for all the ml's ?

And I've seen auto folding mirrors on e class, when the guy locks the car the mirrors fold automaticly and when he unlocks the car they open back. Can we use this future on ml ? is there a way to activate this future?

thanks.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Mine stop when there at 90 degrees folded in. Dont know what stops them exactly, but something must put resistance to the housing or its on a wheel or track. Yours is obviously not right, and i woudnt want it hitting my windows....

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
On my 2009 W164 auto-folding is a user configurable option in the preferences section of the display between speedometer and tach. (Whatever that thing is called, I forget.) Perhaps W163 has similar menu?

As for me, the car is something like 6' 3" wide with mirrors out and 6' 0" folded. Don't see it as being worth the electricity to drive the motors unless I'm worried about someone stealing the glass out of my mirrors.

OTOH my former F-250 had mirrors the size of Dumbo's ears, on long powered telescopic folding arms. If I used the power folding when the mirrors were fully extended (also power controlled) then The Beast got at least 2' narrower. And unlike the M-B the Ford mirrors would fold on command at any speed. That was a bit of fun.

On a narrow road an oncoming truck clipped my left F-250 mirror which folded under the impact. I was upset but couldn't find a scratch on it, and it popped right back out to its proper position and all the motors still worked.

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
hey guys
I've got power folding mirrors on my 02 ml270. So when I push the folding button the mirrors close but both sides hits 2-3 times to the glass, it dosent stop when the mirror is fully folded, both mirrors force to close 1 or 2 seconds more, its not a big problem for me but I wonder is this same for all the ml's ?

And I've seen auto folding mirrors on e class, when the guy locks the car the mirrors fold automaticly and when he unlocks the car they open back. Can we use this future on ml ? is there a way to activate this future?

thanks.
I am assuming that when you say "hits the window" it is also like it is popping at the end of the fold until the motor times out. If this is the case there is a bracket in the mirror housing that is cracked. Of course this part is not available separately so you are looking at a new mirror base to fix the problem.....ask me how I know.

·
Registered
02' ML270 CDI
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming that when you say "hits the window" it is also like it is popping at the end of the fold until the motor times out. If this is the case there is a bracket in the mirror housing that is cracked. Of course this part is not available separately so you are looking at a new mirror base to fix the problem.....ask me how I know.
Yeah actually thats the exact problem. it keeps popping. How come both mirrors are broken?? I can manually stop them by pushing the button again before they start popping so its not a big problem. I dont wanna pay for some new mirrors for this kinda problem :D

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
The reason the door mirrors 'bounce' off the glass is because at some point, while they were in the folded position, someone has leaned or pushed against them forcing them further towards the glass which then breaks of a tiny alloy 'stop' inside of the housing. This is what happened to both mine and upon dismantling my mirror i find that it is not repairable and rather than buy a whole new mirror to solve the problem i've left the situation as it is.

ps........ the 'auto-folding' option when locking is not available or programmable on w163 ml's, to modify would involve fitting a different control unit, etc.

·
Registered
03 ML350
250 Posts
... a tiny alloy 'stop' inside of the housing...
that's actually a tiny "corner" of the mirror inner metal alloy frame.
my driver side is affected too and the broken piece is still in there, i can see it.

not sure if this part can be welded...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I have the same problem on my Mercedes ML270 2004
Does anyone know if this problem is likely to eventually result in the wing mirrors being stuck in the closed position and not being able to fold out? Just wondering if it’s safer to not ever voluntarily fold the mirrors in.
Gary

·
Registered
2002 ml55
263 Posts
Not sure this will help you... I had to take apart the right mirror on my car... b/c someone bumped into it and knocked something loose...causing it to vibrate a lot on the highway.... but... i did it a while ago... so can't remember or annotate the pics for you (sorry) ... hope this is helpful somehow... GOING TO EDIT PHOTOS AND ANNOTATE WHAT I CAN...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts