Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,312 Posts
Yes, you're missing a grommet alright - the challenge is that the grommet varies depending on the antenna, the MB genuine grommet may or may not work here. For example, mine's below and the original MB seal doesn't work with that antenna.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Automotive design Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1988 560SL
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miko knows from experience. As he was typing, I was looking at the part number. The part number is 126 827 14 98, an image search on google is here:

Mercedes-Benz A 126 827 14 98

If it looks like something you want to try, a source I have been happy with:

MBOEMParts.com 1268271498
Thanks! How does the grommet attach? I’ve ordered parts from MBOEMParts (shipping is always more then the cost of the parts so far).

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,422 Posts
I have removed many Hirschmann Auta 6000 EL antennas from various model Mercedes-Benz salvage cars. The antenna simply pulls through the grommet into the trunk area on removal. This makes me believe the grommet is installed in the fender prior to installation of the antenna.

It is thick rubber so it might need some pressure and lubrication (dish washing detergent usually works well). The grommet has a groove that the sheet metal of the fender fits into. Once installed and oriented, simply reinstall the antenna.

Good luck

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,312 Posts
That's it Brad.

Damerel, the grommet simply sits on the body and is held in place by tightening the two nuts - one on top of and right below it, part of the antenna assembly.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,422 Posts
I believe the OE antenna in Miko's car is a Hirschmann Auta 6000U. If I am correct, the top piece is slightly different. Hirschmann kept a lot of consistency throughout their production; easy to mix and match pieces from different models. The neck length varies but the diameter and threading on those neck tubes is consistent for example.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have removed many Hirschmann Auta 6000 EL antennas from various model Mercedes-Benz salvage cars. The antenna simply pulls through the grommet into the trunk area on removal. This makes me believe the grommet is installed in the fender prior to installation of the antenna.

It is thick rubber so it might need some pressure and lubrication (dish washing detergent usually works well). The grommet has a groove that the sheet metal of the fender fits into. Once installed and oriented, simply reinstall the antenna.

Good luck
First, I would need to remove the antenna. It appears to be held on by one bracket.

Second, install the new grommet in the sheet metal of the fender.

Third, push the antenna from underneath into the grommet.

Final, reattach the antenna bracket.

Did I miss anything? I’ve attached a few photos and the remains of the old grommet.

Thanks to everyone that is helping me figure this out. I’m a slow but thoughtful learner.

Damerel

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,422 Posts
Steps sound good to me . . . the bracket you spoke of is usually at the bottom (not pictured). The ground for your antenna is pictured; both are simple Philips machine screws.

See if you can find a part number embossed into that old grommet - might require some assembly to get the whole number. From google images, it would be on the lower part of the grommet that resides on the underside of the fender. That number would simply validate the part number I found and posted.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steps sound good to me . . . the bracket you spoke of is usually at the bottom (not pictured). The ground for your antenna is pictured; both are simple Philips machine screws.

See if you can find a part number embossed into that old grommet - might require some assembly to get the whole number. From google images, it would be on the lower part of the grommet that resides on the underside of the fender. That number would simply validate the part number I found and posted.
I love how all the parts have a number!

Attachments

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,266 Posts
When you install it don't forget to use rubber lubricant and have the part warmed up in hot water before installing. I would hate to try this "dry" and in a 40 degree garage un-warmed up.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you install it don't forget to use rubber lubricant and have the part warmed up in hot water before installing. I would hate to try this "dry" and in a 40 degree garage un-warmed up.
I have some O-Ring silicon that I bought for the grommets where the tops connect. Seems like that should work? Rarely gets to 40 in San Diego :).Today I’m cruising with the top down and it’s a lovely 72 and sunny.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,266 Posts
I have some O-Ring silicon that I bought for the grommets where the tops connect. Seems like that should work? Rarely gets to 40 in San Diego :).Today I’m cruising with the top down and it’s a lovely 72 and sunny.
That would be fine. Getting the part warm is also worthwhile.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ok, it was harder then I thought to get the grommet to catch the lip of the sheet metal. But here it is!!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts