Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one the power rating on the bose speakers if the Infinity 5 channel amp or Alpline PDX-5 amp will be able to power the speakers.
I am in the process of buying the amp and avic-z2 unit to replace the entire system. Nav Broke on the head unit. No longer able to read the disk. Instead of fixing it.. I choice to upgrade it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I had the same thing to happen to me. You're going to love the Avic. I haven't added an amp yet, but I don't miss having one either.

tip... join the forum, avic411 dot com.

See you there!

·
Registered
2005 ML350SE
421 Posts
+1 on the AVIC. I love it.

As far as the speakers go, crank them up, they can take.

I am running a Kenwood 5 channel amp running about 70 watts per channel (2 ohm) and the speakers rock!

I was suprised they could handle so much, but I figured I would push them.

The underseat sub on the other hand, your better off not hooking that up to the amp and adding another stand alone sub.

The small 6.5 inch bose woofer doesnt like the 150x1 power.

·
Registered
2004 ml500 2006 gsx-r750
64 Posts
hey i have been wanting to do the same set up but pioneer is coming out with a new f-series head unit..this is what an installer told me not sure if its true
Method#1. You can install a new head unit and a 6 channel amplifier and buy crossovers to wire up to your existing speakers. This method will actually downgrade the quality of sound from what you previously had. Meaning, its probably going to sound WORSE than stock. But it will work. Still has to be partially re-wired.

Method#2. You can buy new speakers and GUT the whole stereo system. Which includes all speakers and amps and head unit. This is the best method where there will be no chance of "hiss" or "whine" and other crackling sounds you may get by doing method #1.

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got different answers from different audio shops. I know some of the forum members had changed the head + amp which works great for them.

·
Registered
1995 c280
42 Posts
im also in the process of fixing my system
from what ive learned i need a new amp and was wondering what the best way to hook up 8 speakers to an amp?
x2 4 channel amps
or what can i do with crossovers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey i have been wanting to do the same set up but pioneer is coming out with a new f-series head unit..this is what an installer told me not sure if its true
Method#1. You can install a new head unit and a 6 channel amplifier and buy crossovers to wire up to your existing speakers. This method will actually downgrade the quality of sound from what you previously had. Meaning, its probably going to sound WORSE than stock. But it will work. Still has to be partially re-wired.

Method#2. You can buy new speakers and GUT the whole stereo system. Which includes all speakers and amps and head unit. This is the best method where there will be no chance of "hiss" or "whine" and other crackling sounds you may get by doing method #1.
all a crossover does is provide a filter for different frequencies. A passive crossever will be HPF to the Tweets and LPF to the mids in the doors. An active crossever would be using the onboard filters of the amp and wiring it directly to the speakers. The only hiss and whine you will get is if you run your rca wires next to your power wire or if you have a poor ground point. This is commonly known as alternator whine and ground loop pop. If you want to run the bose speakers til they die, do it. Otherwise, go high aftermarket, nothing from best buy!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
FWIW, I like MB Quart speakers...very clear and IMO the best I have heard...better than Bose. I also like Infinity speakers...cheaper but similar quality from my experience.

I am using JL Audio equipment in my truck - and I MUST say, the boys at MB knew how to build a truck for sound. I love my quipment and wouldn't trade it...except maybe for something smaller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts