Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 300CDT / 95 Accord / 07 Acura RDX
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this by saying I know purists would opt for professional refinishing of their wheels. Lazy purists would order some in good shape and scrap the others. I'm neither. I just wanted them to look a little better.

So, I ordered a kit from MercedesSource.
Few issues...

The paint comes out powdery. It's metallic, and says it's highly reflective. Bergsma touts this as being as close to factory as he's found. I wonder... was he drinking? I've prepped thoroughly and sanded before priming. I also sanded between primer coats and used a tack cloth to remove debris before applying the first coat of paint. And I made sure to shake the shit out of the can before and during the first coats. Any ideas as to what would cause the paint to exhibit an almost powdery finish? It's not shiny, either... it looks slightly more silver than the grey primer used...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,253 Posts
How far away are you spraying?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 8 inches or so, per the can's instructions. I'm wondering if this can just didn't set up for a long time or something. The coats I've been doing are very light... which has been my spray-painting MO for years. Do several light coats instead of one or two heavy coats.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
OK so do several light coats (within the specified repaint time) then?

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 2013 C250
374 Posts
this is the first time i have heard this... I was l planning on using this kit as well

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so do several light coats (within the specified repaint time) then?
Well - in some places it looks shiny. In others, dull. All over, it has a powder-coated texture almost. After about 20 minutes of initial dry time, I can wipe off with a shop rag most of the texture. It's just... I've done wheels in the past and I'm thinking the paint may be "off" or something.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is the first time i have heard this... I was l planning on using this kit as well
I'll be sure to post details about what was included in the kit.
Two cans of spray paint - one Krylon, the other I can't recall at the office.
Either way - the kit was way marked up.
You can get both paints at a local auto store or Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Well - in some places it looks shiny. In others, dull. All over, it has a powder-coated texture almost. After about 20 minutes of initial dry time, I can wipe off with a shop rag most of the texture. It's just... I've done wheels in the past and I'm thinking the paint may be "off" or something.
Ah ha!

Have you used a self etch primer? It sounds like the paint isn't sticking to the surface too well.

I'm sorry to say this - I know it is a pain in the arse - but perhaps it is time for a picture?

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 2013 C250
374 Posts
I'll be sure to post details about what was included in the kit.
Two cans of spray paint - one Krylon, the other I can't recall at the office.
Either way - the kit was way marked up.
You can get both paints at a local auto store or Wal-Mart.
Thanks, please do, much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
On any aluminum surface, you must use etching primer.
X2

@QXwerty are you sure it isn't a self etching primer?

Is it a high build primer instead?

It seems strange to me that a self etching primer wouldn't be part of a kit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really don't think it's anything other than high build primer from Krylon. Meanwhile, I picked up another can of the paint itself and the problem is no more. After having to sand down and re-prime two wheels. Oh well...

The results are pretty good for at-home spray paint. If you're looking for a professional finish, drop the ends to have your wheels blasted and re-coated. But if you just want some clean-looking wheels without breaking the bank, and have the time/patience to do it correctly... this method ain't bad.

Per my promise - I'll post the paints used. Just, later when I'm at home and can provide the correct primer.

The paint itself is DupliColor Wheel Coating - Silver.
Dupli-Color :: Wheel Coating

1 - 13 of 13 Posts