Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Einszett products a lot and thought I'd give the Colourtec purple wheel cleaner a whirl. Stinks like a skunk in a bottle, but did a fantastic job on my painted rims, and my alloys.

So I did a little reading and saw that it was safe for powder coated wheels...

NOT!

Wheels were nice and cool. Washed in the shade. Products was on each wheel about 2 minutes or so, and wasn't allowed to dry on the wheels.

You can see every place the Colourtec was sprayed. I tried rewashing. I tried stronger soap. I tried running around in a big honkin' panic.

I had Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville powder coat the wheels about two years ago, and that wasn't cheap, so I was getting pretty hot under the collar. And it just looks like it should wipe right off, right?

The solution was about two hours with my good and faithful friend - the Rupes Bigfoot Mini polisher. I used the yellow pad and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish so that I could take it nice and easy. Took a good bit of pressure and time, but I'll be able to lay down the Prozac, I think.

Anybody else had this???

Attachments

·
Registered
21,755 Posts
A few comments:

Powder coat apparently isn't what it used to be. Lots of new stud is softer and thicker water based stuff apparently. EPA must be after good powder coating I guess.

A lot of tough cleaners will do this. I use spray nine and have seen it do similar stuff to wheels. I always make sure I've got an evenly sprayed on coating and no drips running down the wheels. Most of my wheel washing is with wheels off the cars.

I never let is sit without scrubbing for long at all. 2 minutes doesn't sound bad, but right after I spray down a wheel, I'm after it with a scrub brush.

Well, you see how tough a cleaner can be. I am very glad you were able to polish out the damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I normally don't let any cleaner sit but that was part of the instruction for this cleaner. It goes on clear but you wait until it turns a deep purple and rinse it off.

But as you say, lesson learned.

I'll go back to using slightly stronger mix of regular soap and no special wheel cleaners. I stay after the detailing pretty well so I don't really need anything aggressive.

·
Registered
21,755 Posts
Yeah, I normally don't let any cleaner sit but that was part of the instruction for this cleaner. It goes on clear but you wait until it turns a deep purple and rinse it off.

But as you say, lesson learned.

I'll go back to using slightly stronger mix of regular soap and no special wheel cleaners. I stay after the detailing pretty well so I don't really need anything aggressive.

Wow. Sounds like a letter to their company would be in order.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,468 Posts
Mercedes of Knoxville powder coated the wheels? I didn't think any MB dealers even had in house body shops anymore let alone powder coat equipment..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mercedes of Knoxville powder coated the wheels? I didn't think any MB dealers even had in house body shops anymore let alone powder coat equipment..
Mercedes of Knoxville has a body shop - a HUGE one.

Einszett responded and asked a number of questions. Their question is whether or not the wheels were clear coated after being powder coated so I'll have to check that.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,468 Posts
Mercedes of Knoxville has a body shop - a HUGE one.

Einszett responded and asked a number of questions. Their question is whether or not the wheels were clear coated after being powder coated so I'll have to check that.
Sounds like a dealer to go to. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've used the Purple Power stuff and had the same results. That streaking and loss of paint, it dissolved slowly and wore off.
Now I have a secret solution, I swear works for me!

Dawn dish soap. Clean wheels once a week. Use soft brush to resist scratches. I even cleaned my wheels at the campground when on vacation. I'm nuts like that. :grin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - The Rupes definitely did help, but there are still "shadows" where the staining was. I also don't have a way to get into the slots on the wheels.

Einszett is responding quickly but they haven't given me any suggestions on how to correct the damage.

I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
Dillinger
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing