Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
300TE 4matic - 300D
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to do this for a long time so I just brought a 300D.

With diesel prices rising to 0.91 pence per litre (In UK) I decided to just pour a drum of 20 litre of SVO (Straight Veg Oil) from one of the big hyper markets which cost me £8.89 (0.44 pence per litre).

Fired up the car and it worked, left the car overnight and fired it up in the morning from cold and it worked. I just had to press the gas half way down, once cranked and it fired up no problem. If you have problems starting then you can mix the SVO with Reg Unleaded maybe 10%-15%-20% and this should be good enough for the cold spells (Our Reg Unleaded is 95 oct in the UK).

I find that once the engine is hot, I do not even need to put my foot on the gas to start it. Drove all around and did not notice any difference in performance and economy.

I have been reading as much information as I can with regards to SVO and WVO (Waste Veg Oil) and it can get quite confusing. I don't see the need for expensive conversion kits and complicated mod's which cost $,$$$.

I used to spend over £200 on fuel per month and now I can save loads of money. Every time I drive by a petrol station I have a big [:)] on my face. Remember the fuel strikes here a few years back? It was madness to get to the pumps. Not anymore!

Also my mate has been running a W123 on SVO for a year now and has had no problems with the engine. What he does is to change the fuel filter every 2,500 miles. Not changing any engine parts like injectors etc. Even through the last British winter it started without any problems on Straight Veg oil without blending.

Ahh the smell of fish and chips......makes me hungry.

Well it is up to you to try and at your own risk, but if the "Day After Tomorrow" comes and me and my car survive then I will only have to look out for a supermarket and properly get the fuel for free.

B [8D]

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Turbo Technics Twin Turbo
261 Posts
I've been running my 300D on a 60/40 mix, 60 being regular diesel and the 40 straight veg oil for a year now with no problems whatsoever.

I may go upto a 50/50 mix now that the weather is warmer.....in the winter I tended to run on an 80/20 mix

·
Registered
85 300SD, 95 E320
341 Posts
hi georgeeight and mjtray,

what year is your 300D?

i'd be interested on an update on the use of SVO/WVO in your cars.

did you guys use SVO/WVO without any conversions whatsoever? any concerns or problems so far? if you guys are using WVO, did you filter it first or was it poured directly from sources (i.e. fish and chips fryer, etc)?

i have a 1985 300SD and was considering using WVO but the cost of doing the conversion, etc would cost several $1,000's and seems to negate the benefits of not paying for diesel since it would take years to recoup. but if it can be done without conversion with the dual-tanks, etc then i'd like doing it.

any comments if 1987 300D (with 3.0 I-6 turbo) engine as robust or suitable for WVO?

thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,510 Posts
do some research.

i remember something about fuel lines getting porous or something like that. you might need to change them to use veggie oil safely for a long time.

·
Registered
85 300SD, 95 E320
341 Posts
neanderthal said:
do some research.

i remember something about fuel lines getting porous or something like that. you might need to change them to use veggie oil safely for a long time.

the problem i'm having is TOO much data and conflicting information. that is why i like to get direct experiences from ppl who have done it already.

i know about changing the rubber hoses if they are original, etc but chances are any car from the 80's/90's would have had them changed by now.

my main concern is being able to run the diesel engine on SVO/WVO without doing the conversion since i've not heard that before. usually it's the dual-tank system that ppl have where they START/STOP the engine on diesel but run it on SVO/WVO by flicking a switch to change tanks.

·
Registered
1992 400E W124.034 119.975
69 Posts
George, I would imagine that the (think Julia Child) "crispy bits" might be a major issue using oil directly out of the fryer. Would probably smell REALLY good however, winning the hearts and minds of millions of fast-food lovers!

Seriously, I don't even have a diesel, but have been trying to follow the evolution of SVO, Biodiesel, and it's use or potential use in hybrids, and will follow this discussion with great anticipation. Would be happy to get a classsic MB diesel if I could be enviro, and pocketbook freindlier.

Scotz

·
Registered
1995 E300D
75 Posts
As long as you filter the WVO through a 5 micron filter and then blend with 10% unleaded and 5 % kerosene, you should have no problem. The blending reduces the viscosity of the oil.

Higher percentages of unleaded (up to 20%) for cold weather driving is necessary to keep the fuel from gelling in really cold temps.

Diesel fuel additives that boost the cetane level and encapsulate any rogue microscopic droplets of water in your WVO would also be recommended. They can also help with lowering the gell point of the fuel.

·
Registered
68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
906 Posts
I would be interested to know if you have heard of anyone tearing one of these engines appart after running on straight unheated oils, but one thing to remember is that besides the natural oils degrading the rubber lines and seals, you also need to consider the following about how the oil combusts:
Take for example a frying pan on your stove(sans teflon), if you pour some veggie oil in this when the pan is cold and allow the pan to heat up to the combustion temp of the oil, it will leave a dark residue on the pan. If you however heat the pan up to the combustion temperature of the oil and then add the oil to the pan, it will flash and pop and combust, but it will not leave any residue on the pan.
This is what is going on in your engine as well, that is one of the reasons why these conversion systems pre heat the oil, one to ensure that it flows as easily and doesn't put extra strain on the injection pump, and more importantly it does this because the oils will combust more efficiently at a higher temperature. After some time of doing this cold oil, cold start method, I would be concerned about what types of resudes are building up on the cylinder walls as well as the valves. These systems have recommended that you allow the engine to warm up to operating temp before you switch over, for reasons given in the frying pan example.

I can't wait to get a diesel of my own and run it on veggie oil, but I would be cautious of just dumping it into the tank and starting your cars on it cold. It is a noble cause to run on such a fuel, but I would take it one step further and convert the car with the proper fuel heating devices to ensure that you dont' do more damage to your mercedes than the actual cost of a veggie system might cost. 1000 bucks is a common price, but I have seen these systems in person, and they can be made for a lot less if you just buy the parts yourself at a local hardware store.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
My cousin's 300SD grease car is on its 2nd year

My cousin converted his 300SD to WVO 2 years ago. He used the system from...

http://www.greasecar.com/

He likes it so much he plans to buy a newer 300SD or 300D and do it again after selling the "old" one, which has something like 350K miles on it now. The system he installed does have a pre-heater. But as he explained it to me, this is to melt the oil in the winter on Long island, where temps drop to below freezing for long periods. He does filter the WVO before putting it in his tank. Using SVO is not practical in the USA because it costs more than diesel.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have been running WVO in my 300CD for over 6,000 Miles with only 5 filter cleanings (permanent filter) on the Lovecraft system. They have over 1,000 systems installed with no major problems. Lovecraft Biofuels - Home. It only cost me $425.00 and I installed it myself.

I have been getting WVO from a local restraunt for FREE, so the fuel savings will pay for the Lovecraft system and eventualy the entire car! It starts good even in freezing weather, or hot (the weather is extreme in the Desert of So. Cal). It is interesting to find out that you can blend WVO and run it without any fuel heaters or added filters.

·
Registered
300TE 4matic - 300D
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All Back again for an update after 2 years of research.

Been away for a while but I had to scrap my 300D this year.

Not because of engine problems but electrical problems could of fixed it, but I thought that I would give the good girl a sending off because she has treated me well over the years. Mangaged to do around 50,000 miles on SVO and WVO I started to use Waste Veg Oil instead as I really wanted to see the outcome.

I have managed to come up with my perfect blend that gives me better economy than diesel, but that is another story.

Still will post more info in time to come.

The force is still strong ,Be Cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts