Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I looked at a 1995 E300D with 260,000 miles on the clock. I've had only diesels before, though this would be my first diesel car, looking for a good, efficient commuter. I've known a few to have Mercedes OMs and they've been good runners

Here are some problems with the vehicle:

-the a/c doesn't work

-the tach doesn't work

-there's a squeak in the rear right, the owner and I removed the tire and put transmission oil on a bushing closest to the door, it stopped the noise - though I would want to replace it

-the rear headrests do not move from the button on the control console, I tried it with the engine running as well.

-the rear left window does not move, though I can hear something in the door trying to work

-the car dies in reverse sometimes, to keep it running your foot has to be on the gas. I suspect its the idle linkage? though I don't know for certain.

In your opinion/s, how much would need to be put into the vehicle to get it in better condition?

thanks,
WDiesel out

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
As an owner of a '95 diesel, I would pass on this example as there are several major issues to deal with.

The cost of repairing the AC alone could be very expensive.

It's all about service records, records and more records.

With that mileage, you need to find out if the trans has been replaced/overhauled yet. If not, it's most likely going to need it pretty soon. Same story on the engine wiring harness due to the eco junk wiring issue these cars came with..

Unless you're willing to throw a few thousand at it right away, IMO a better example can be found.

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
491 Posts
With that list of neglected items, there's likely to be quite a few other issues as well. In the long run, I think you would wind up being unhappy, throwing money and time at it. With that amount of miles, the age, and condition, you will.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your responses make sense and go with my gut, thanks.

The asking price was 4500, down to 2900, but its not worth it IMO. Theres another listed for 4500 firm that just had a trans service, gplugs, harness (2 years ago). has 220, 000

and another 4500 i think I could talk down that looks well taken care of. Brand new interior, paint is in good condition. has 210, 000

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Be careful!

I am a living example of what the others are talking about. I bought Dieter ('95 E300 Diesel with 240,000 miles) off the internet. I paid extra to have it inspected but did not see it in person.The inspection showed no problems nor did the carfax report.

When the car arrived it had been painted by a chain paintshop that I will not name with overspray everywhere, the front bumper looked like it had been chewed on by a large dog, the ac didn't work and the engine smoked on startup.

The price was only $3000 so I thought it was still ok. After all I paid for the inspection, right? What could go wrong?

Well, my mechanic went over it and came up with the following:

Flex discs and differential mounts shot $600
Tie rods and ball joints $650
#6 Glowplug $175
AC evaporator and compressor $4200

As far as the body work:

New aftermarket bumper $250
Paint bumper $250
Respray with correct paint $4750

Body work $5250
Mechanicals $5625
Initial cost $3000
Total $13,875

See how it adds up? I did get a refund for the inspection fee ($125, big deal!) but the rest is all mine. My lawyer tried to settle with the PO but since the inspector was independent of the owner I had no recourse with the owner as far as getting my money back. The good news is that the interior is perfect and the car has no rust at all.

I got the mechanicals done and the bumper replaced but the other bodywork will have to wait. I should have flown to Dallas to see it and drive it but I thought I had all my bases covered with the inspection and the pictures that were e mailed to me.

You must take it to an indy you trust or do the inspection yourself if you're a mechanic and also unless you're a mechanic that likes a challenge of a project car everything must be in working order or WALK AWAY!

Spend the money and get a good example or it will become a money pit!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow :eek: that's terrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that and glad I have the opportunity to get your insight here!

There's another example I'm planning on seeing this weekend. Let's see how it goes. I am a mechanic - most of my recent work has been on M1009 CCUCvs. The last I had got a 4" Lift, 14 bolt f/f rear axle, rear disc brake conversion, banks turbo, custom 1410 drive shaft, manual swap, custom bumper, solar panel and inverter - and i sold it:crybaby2:

I'll get another some day and do a cummins swap directly, just nee to be patient. I do want a commuter car and not a project though, thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wouldn't purchase a car unless I saw it in person.

There was a benz for sale locally and on ebay a while back near me. On ebay, on paper, the car was in excellent condition.

I went to look at the car and the passanger dool panel had dents that were poorly repaired--they were pulled out and the panel was sticking out! I could see this flaw from twenty feet away.

Of course the photos on ebay were in such an angle that the dents wern't viewable.

If a car is for sale in a medium to big city, and it's on ebay, there's a reason for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm concerned about the A/C system - are there signs that it will be going out if it is in working order?

What can be done to ensure it doesn't go out and cause a $hefty repair

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
I'm concerned about the A/C system - are there signs that it will be going out if it is in working order?

What can be done to ensure it doesn't go out and cause a $hefty repair
that's all your concerned about...? :surrender:

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Get the one that is in best condition and has the service records to back it up.

That usually means a higher purchase price but it is money well spent over the course of ownership.

It's all about maintenance and how much the owner(s) cared for their vehicles. I've bought MBs that had over a million miles that were in better condition than ones with a couple of hundred thousand.

I would expect you to pay at least around $5K for a W124 diesel that is in very good condition that is needing little to no extra work immediately other than routine maintenance. This is excludes non--mechanical stuff such as paint/interior stuff, condition of windshield, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's all your concerned about...? :surrender:
haha no that is not all, though on a car I test drive where the AC is working - are there signs that it would be on it's way out? I've been told that it's probbly the most expensive repair Id have to tackle on these W124s by a few sources.

I'm not going to touch the first car at all.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
I have no one to blame but myself. It was a good lesson, an expensive one but a good one all the same.
From your explanation, the licensed inspector should have insurance for such a case?
For last 15 years I am buying diesel Mercedes in southern, or eastern states, bringing them to California where diesels are not sold for last 16 years. Never got burned, but I always fly with cash in hand and most of the time had return ticket since those used to be cheaper than one way tickets.
The purchase a month ago - 1998 E300DT with 250k on it come out as perfect car. I mean I had to purchase new driver seat leather, get second key and had to flush green coolant, but beside couple of dents the car drove 3000 miles home with flying colors.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
For last 15 years I am buying diesel Mercedes in southern, or eastern states, bringing them to California where diesels are not sold for last 16 years....
What do you mean???

Diesels were available in California for W124, W210 (OM606 only in NA and Turbo versions), W211 (CDI & BlueTec) and the current W212 (BlueTec).

They may not have been available in CA every single model year, but they were definitely out there if you looked hard enough.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I didn't read the fine print

The fine print on the inspection contract read:

"In case of negligence the only recoverable amount shall be limited to the amount paid for the inspection only".

The sales contract said:

"...sold as is, where is with no warranty as to use"

In short I'm screwed because I didn't read the fine print. My fault and no one elses.

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
What do you mean???

Diesels were available in California for W124, W210 (OM606 only in NA and Turbo versions), W211 (CDI & BlueTec) and the current W212 (BlueTec).

They may not have been available in CA every single model year, but they were definitely out there if you looked hard enough.
The last MB diesel sold new in CA was in 1987 and that is the model I own.
W211 diesels were never sold here and I am not sure what year or if Bluetec was allowed here. I am not much interested in newer cars since business is slow.

·
Registered
36,717 Posts
The fine print on the inspection contract read:

"In case of negligence the only recoverable amount shall be limited to the amount paid for the inspection only".

The sales contract said:

"...sold as is, where is with no warranty as to use"

In short I'm screwed because I didn't read the fine print. My fault and no one elses.
Now imagine such print on contract for brain surgery or major lawsuit?
I still would assume you have very good base to put the "inspectors" out of the bussiness. Did you call their license board? You can try BBB, but those folks are big joke.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
The 1995 E300 Diesel with the 606 engine (non turbo) was 50 state available. I remember that Mercedes-Benz made a big deal out of the fact that you could buy one in any state

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
The last MB diesel sold new in CA was in 1987 and that is the model I own.
W211 diesels were never sold here and I am not sure what year or if Bluetec was allowed here. I am not much interested in newer cars since business is slow.
Kajtek1,

Once again, you are talking out of your @ss big time just like your continued bragging about running your cars without a fan clutch. If the factory didn't think there was a need for one, then the car wouldn't have come with one.

If you wanted a new W124 diesel in CA back in 1995, the E300 diesel was available in CA. And, as I stated before, diesels have been available in CA ever since although not every single year due to continual changes in the CARB (California Air Resources Board) requirements.

W210 diesels were available in CA, in both versions through 1999 (1996-97 in NA, 1998-99 in turbo).

W211 diesels were available in CA, although in very few numbers.

If you want to buy a brand new MB diesel in CA today, all it takes is a trip to your local dealer.

Know & back up your facts before you start making such outrageous claims.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts