Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a noob, technically not even a noob owner yet, but am contemplating the purchase of a 2002 C32. I've lurked here a bit and have been corresponding with a C32 owner who is selling his car. I've noticed more than a couple of threads on this forum about the reliability of the C32 and various other mechanical issues. The seller of the C32 I'm looking at shared with me the maintenance history of his C32 and it was, in a word, looooong. The following items were replaced: fuel sender, differential, HVAC buttons (replaced entire head unit), main drive pulley (vibration dampner was torn), as well as a few other things he couldn't remember. He also mentioned that there is currently a factory recall on the relay for the air injector.

I have also read on this forum about ECU and intercooler issues.

So, I guess I'm asking: "What's the deal?" Is this car problematic, does the aforementioned car sound like a lemon, or are these things typical, or perhaps everything that was going to fail has been replaced on this car?

Is this thing a mint to maintain?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, super Forum! 2+ weeks and no feedback.

Guessing that no feedback means that the C32 has some not so insignificant reliability issues.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
its a solid car. but it isnt a honda that needs zero maintenance. be prepared for necessary fixes from time to time. if its out of warranty, be weary. AMG's are far from cheap when it comes to any sort of fixes.

upside, extremely enjoyable car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an '03 and it was serviced locally, so I was able to obtain all the records. Only minor problems occured and it has been in the shop maybe five times. From the history of this car, I can say it has been very reliable and mostly trouble free. I also have heard that '03's have less problems than '02's though...

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG Black and 2003 ML55 AMG Black
66 Posts
Get one - period. Mine is awesome. I like the classy look and power. The car has that luxury and sneakiness you are looking for. I think we all like looking good and having the juice to back it up. As for feedback on reliability... my intercooler failed (search for info and pics) but other than that, the car is a jewel. We need a 'James Bond' type cult figure for our AMG owners group. Actually, I think that is each of us who work like hell 24/7 to make our particular expertise (sales / doctor / lawyer / UPS guy / mechanic / plumber / whatever) give back to the world such that we can afford one. Its not like buying a Chevy you know. And then on the weekends or the drive into work or whatever, we ride in style. Owning an AMG is a dream for most, get one and know you have achieved something. You should also know that when 'shmo' pulls up next to you in his M3 / corvette / camaro / SRT8 / hotrod / whatever - you can run em 'and' they are wishing they had what you are sitting in. Get one. I believe you already know the truth I speak, else you would not have found this forum.

Regards,

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts