Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a set of brand new 2017 AMG S-Class 20” offset rims; 9.5 on rear, 8.5 on front. Has Anyone out there done a swap with similar rims? What are issues? Mileage/speedometer off? Any rubbing in tire well? Is ride rough?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The Offset you posted isn’t correct the 8.5 front and 9.5 is the width for a staggered look for tire sizing 255 front 275 rear, but the offset is critical for determining whether they will need spacers. In addition you need the bolt size to determine what is required to make a proper fit. In my experience anything larger than 18” changes the ride quality but its your car so enjoy.

·
W140 Moderator
7,519 Posts
20 inch are just good for looks ,you will compromise a lot of ride quality because the biggest tyre sidewall you could ad is 285/35/20 (& that's already big) ,anything bigger and you would need to roll the fender at the rear ,you will feel every stone & bump on the road (wait for that pothole,game over ) .
Another thing many don't consider is that ,what will you do when you get a flat Tyre ,is the spare a 20 inch as well then good ,no worries but if not , putting that 16 inch wheel on will make a mess of the speed sensors (Yes my spare is a 19 inch) as i have been thru this mishap i didn't know as well.
Mine are 285/35/19 at the rear & i cant wait to get rid of them that's on standard hydraulic suspension .
The only two good things about the big wheels are ,1 ,the 285 size handling under the V12 is out of this world, i cant get her to spin the wheels just bolts of the lane / 2 ,changes the overall look of the car for the better (depends on rim chosen) .
The Speedo wil go of by about 2km's so if you drive lets say 60km/s an hour ,it would be around 58/9ish

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I agree with Merc_S600 on the ride quality. I have a '97 CL600 that came with 20' Lorinser D-93's. Great looking wheel but I seem to feel every bump and road hazard. And yes, I have new accumulators and the struts are fine. The car has only 69K on the speedo so I can't imagine a lot of wear on the suspension.
Anziani

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I had similar rough ride in my S500 Grand Edition which had the GE 18 or 19 inch wheels (???) with low profile tires. Ride was much rougher tah my previous S500 or my current S600 with the standard 16" wheels.. Plus the tires are cheaper!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s photos of the inside of the rims....can anyone interpret to see if these would fit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts