Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
You bought a car with a original sticker over 75K! Are you kidding me? Also, with the mileage you purcahased the car was due for service, what service depends on the prior owner and how the car was driven/abused.

Also, you bought a first year product! Thats a No/No! Especially in your situation.

This is your own doing. Being a student on a budget if you wanted a sick/reliable car you should have chosen a 2002 W210 E55!

Deffinetly Sell this car! Next time, do more homework prior to purchase.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Calvin,

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. A couple of comments;

1. When I was first looking, I was on the fence, W211 or W210. I checked with two dealer service writers and one indie. All warned me away from the '03 specifically.

2. I shopped for an extended warranty that would cover everything! There were many who wouldn't and some wouldn't cover the AMG's.

Now 1 & 2 are water under the bridge. Going forward;

1. Check your warranty coverage, make sure they're not trying to shirk their responsibilities.

2. Dealer or PO purchase? If a dealer, I'm not sure they can help, but you may try. You were correct to do the PPI.

3. Regarding the fuel issue, MBNA may not have fixed correctly. Try the MB zone manager for help.

I ended up with a '02 W210. Even then, the warranty paid for itself in the first two months. Which I suspected might happen. I've had further minor issues since, all covered.

I hope this doesn't leave a sour taste for all AMG's. Young and older, we get bitten occasionally. See if you can get these resolved, sell it. Give your self a little time, then get another. As you're finding out, a car like this can be financially crippling.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike K.

P.S. Beware, you may be coming up on a full brake job. On the W210, $2300-2500 at the dealer. $1000 if you DIY.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
fwiw, this person has posted on other MB forums. It's more of a rant than anything else.

Nonetheless, I do feel badly for him. He was expecting something and it didn't turn out that way.

But the gist is that these were $100k cars when new. Just because they can be purchased for peanuts now (due to AMG depreciation), doesn't mean they are going to be cheap to own. They weren't back then and they certainly won't be now.

This is the same issue with used Aston Martins, Maseratis, Porsches, etc..

And there's a reason not everybody (esp with a limited bank account) buys these sorts of cars in the first place. They are expensive toys. And it's why they depreciate and are cheap when used. Rich people buy new expensive toys, not used ones. The toy market will always be like this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As you posted the same stuff on the other MB board, I find that you are more interested in %^&* about the issue vs. being constructive. From what I gather out of your rant is that you have no business purchasing a car to begin with since your fresh out of school and figured you could go directly to the top of the food chain with a budget in mind so you purchased a 100k car for what ? 30K? Then expected it to be as reliable as a Toyota? That right there tells mounds about yourself.

How about you be sensible and just purchase a nice little Honda Civic first and save your rants for your school loans and move toward getting out of rent situation and buy a house. :thumbsup: I'm no expert on the welfare system, but you got what you had coming to you. Why you feel the world owes you anything for your own decision is beyond me. Man up and accept responsibility for your decision. I also recommend learning how to use tools.

This folks is a perfect example of some kid poser that wants the world to believe he is something special because of what he drives. Lexus, BMW, and AMG???? Get real. Get your life in order first, then worry about the car image later. Perhaps then you will wise up and fully understand what our getting yourself into.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
As you posted the same stuff on the other MB board, I find that you are more interested in %^&* about the issue vs. being constructive. From what I gather out of your rant is that you have no business purchasing a car to begin with since your fresh out of school and figured you could go directly to the top of the food chain with a budget in mind so you purchased a 100k car for what ? 30K? Then expected it to be as reliable as a Toyota? That right there tells mounds about yourself.

How about you be sensible and just purchase a nice little Honda Civic first and save your rants for your school loans and move toward getting out of rent situation and buy a house. :thumbsup: I'm no expert on the welfare system, but you got what you had coming to you. Why you feel the world owes you anything for your own decision is beyond me. Man up and accept responsibility for your decision. I also recommend learning how to use tools.

This folks is a perfect example of some kid poser that wants the world to believe he is something special because of what he drives. Lexus, BMW, and AMG???? Get real. Get your life in order first, then worry about the car image later. Perhaps then you will wise up and fully understand what our getting yourself into.
So very well put, The members here are here to help one another, we have little interest in hearing an after the fact account from a person that lacks the gumption to come here in the first place and question actual owners. There are hundreds of threads on the topic "Hey I am thinking about buying an E55 what do I need to know" here and elsewhere and everyone gets answered in a gracious manor. Now our community has this " Potential Buyers Beware: A Warning from a Recent W211 E55 Buyer" thread thats only value is to illustrate the poor judgment, this recent college graduate has.

I wish him well in the real world....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Calvin,

I would have to agree with YM and MyntK12. I searched and queried forum members quite a bit before buying mine. I was very aware of what it takes to maintain a $70-80k automobile. And I enjoy it immensely, every time I drive it, every time I work on it. :thumbsup:

For those not prepared for the cost of ownership, "AMG" may be an acronym for "All Money Gone".

So chalk up your issues as a learning experience. When you're ready, come back, join the group and be willing to benefit and contribute to the ownership of these great cars. Many of the members here have a wealth of knowledge and experience that is greatly appreciated. You'd be hard pressed to find a better, all around "wolf in sheeps clothing".

Good luck,

Mike K.

·
Registered
'06 E55, '91 560SEL
10 Posts
Look on the bright side, you haven't had any problems with your airmatics...yet! Cheer up, it's the nature of the beast. Trust me, when you get back in after the repairs, feel all that torque under yr right foot, and hear that wonderful sound track you'll forgive it it's foibles. No Lexus (Toyota) can give you this level of 'gravitas'...
Brgds

·
Registered
2001 E320 and a 2001 E320 Wagon
21 Posts
bright side

Good points fellas, when I was in college I drove a 1966 caprice classic and traded that for a 1980 chevy chevette.. I gotta give some props to the guy for saving money to buy it being in college and all, but there was no way in hell I could have bought a car of that caliber while in school. I was in school full time and two jobs and still could barely eat. I have two 2001 MB's now and I will own an AMG next for sure, at my age I am ready for that plunge..

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
I wonder how much of those tabs are run up by wrenches just soaking the extended warranty?

Better learn to DIY and quick or you're gonna get your butt handed to you by these mechanics.

rjp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Narrow-sighted is an understatement

I'm writing this as a new forum member because I was appalled by the narrow-sighted, naive and very un-intelligent answers by apparent long-time forum members. Where has maturity, understanding and some sense of plain common sense gone?

First of all - This is a MB-forum where one interested in MB's search information from other MB owners. Race, age, income, occupation and so forth should NOT be an issue. I reckon an MB doesn't wear faster because you are a student or is there a new high-tech advice that can sense that and makes the car just going to a wreck in an instant? EVERY ONE interested in MB's of ANY kind should be able to post their experience. The problem is the car. Not the owners income or occupation.

Second - This guy had apparently high expectations of a car maker that for a long time uses advertising slogans such as:

"Unlike any other"
"The Future of the Automobile"
"Engineered to move the human spirit"
"The best or nothing"
"Cars Engineered like no other"

So you buy a MB with 75k and that is equal to a ship-wreck according to MB owner Robert1492. My father has a 1993 Lexus LS400 with 6 times the mileage which still hasn't rendered the amount of repairs that Calvin has experienced. And that is for a car 10 years older with technology at the time that was state of the art. Calvin is talking of a car that is 7 years old with 75k. That is nothing.

Calvin also shares his experince with the staff at MB. It could be monday. It could be a coincidence but no matter, it's his personal experience and should be noted and respected.

I could make a far longer list of the non-sensical answers some of you have left but I will bolt this down to this conclusion:

1. AMG owners (in this thread) are rich, filthy rich and don't actually care their newly bought AMG has a max lifespan of 75k miles because of the fact that even very rudimentary equipment like cup-holders stops to work.

2. AMG owners (in this thread) accepts the fact that MB staff gives unpolite and non-supportive answers and feedback if you don't belong to the group mention in No.1. (and maybe not even then...)

3. AMG owners (in this thread) has a very narrow-sighted view of the car market and finds all this completely natural, thus is very unforgiven for other AMG-owners negative experience of the car and finds non-comprehensive and illogical answers to justify their brands superiority.

MB is the worlds oldest car maker. You could make the blunt mistake to believe that 2003 they could manufacture a first generation car with cup-holders actually working.

Nuf said.

/Marcus, Stockholm, Sweden - Looking for either the M5 (E60) or E55 W211.....

------------------------------------
Lexus IS250 (2007)
Audi A6 2.7Biturbo Quattro BSR (2001)

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
I don't think that anyone here is filthy rich. They wouldn't be on a car forum if they were. But the point (at least my point) is that these cars were expensive to buy and are expensive to own. The only part of that equation which has changed is that the purchase price of a used 66k, 7-year old AMG has plummeted due to AMG depreciation. (btw, Calvin meant over $75k price, not mileage....)

That depreciation comes in part because the filthy rich buy new AMGs the minute their cars are out of warranty (or even earlier.) The filthy rich want new cars and don't buy used cars. The filthy rich normally don't care about doing proper maintenance either (just buy a new car.) There's a glut of used luxury cars on the market because of this. And the majority of people with lesser incomes and assets don't want to get into a high maintenance, expensive-to-repair, used performance cars. And so the used market reflects this.

This is the case with all cars in this class. Aston, Maser, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.. The used prices drop but the repair and maintenance is still up there in cost. It's why nobody in their right mind will buy a used Ferrari unless they have a big bank account for repair and maintenance.

Comparing your father's Lexus doesn't mean much. The 1993 LS400 had an MSRP of $47k here in the US. It's a whole different game; a reliable non-performance car with a basic 4L V8 250 hp motor. Great transportation, yes, but not a $100k performance car. Everyone knows the reliability history of those cars.

As far as the OP's issues are concerned, he unfortunately has some kind of aftermarket warranty that doesn't cover things that a MB factory, CPO, or MB ELW would cover. That's unfortunate because the issues he mentions are KNOWN issues on the early E55s. In addition, did he have a PROPER ppi done on the car? Part of the OP's isssues come from a naivete in buying used performance cars. And don't forget that an E55 will be driven a lot more aggressively than other cars. Plus not everyone takes care of their cars in an equal manner. A thorough ppi is an absolute necessity (especially with an expensive-to-fix car) whether it's a dealer CPO'd, non-CPO'd retail, or a private sale. I do empathize with him. I'm sorry that he took such an expensive risk.

And again, a proper warranty would fix those issues (they are known issues in the early E55s.) Including the fuel sending units which MBUSA is repairing at their cost (you have to be adamant about getting it fixed, but it will be fixed under warranty.)

Anyway, the issues are relatively minor. The real "problem" is the cost of repairs. So, once again: this is an expensive performance car that is expensive to maintain and repair. Don't step into the fire if you can't cover the expense of ownership. This isn't a right or wrong sort of thing, it's just a FACT. That's the way it is. Don't buy a used (or new) AMG if that is a concern. Hey, don't buy a BMW either. These cars are NOT the same as a run-of-the-mill Japanese car.

Nonetheless, these cars can and do reach high mileage. It all depends on how well they are maintained. I also have two Porsches at the moment and they require a lot of proper maintenance. They run perfectly and will last with high mileage, but they need to be taken care of properly. And yes, a Mercedes is "engineered like no other." But it needs feeding and care which costs time and money. None of the slogans you mention are not truthful. A Toyota you can drive while doing nothing to it, and that's the nature of those kinds of cars. That's why they are the perfect car for the majority.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm writing this as a new forum member because I was appalled by the narrow-sighted, naive and very un-intelligent answers by apparent long-time forum members. Where has maturity, understanding and some sense of plain common sense gone?

First of all - This is a MB-forum where one interested in MB's search information from other MB owners. Race, age, income, occupation and so forth should NOT be an issue. I reckon an MB doesn't wear faster because you are a student or is there a new high-tech advice that can sense that and makes the car just going to a wreck in an instant? EVERY ONE interested in MB's of ANY kind should be able to post their experience. The problem is the car. Not the owners income or occupation.

Second - This guy had apparently high expectations of a car maker that for a long time uses advertising slogans such as:

"Unlike any other"
"The Future of the Automobile"
"Engineered to move the human spirit"
"The best or nothing"
"Cars Engineered like no other"

So you buy a MB with 75k and that is equal to a ship-wreck according to MB owner Robert1492. My father has a 1993 Lexus LS400 with 6 times the mileage which still hasn't rendered the amount of repairs that Calvin has experienced. And that is for a car 10 years older with technology at the time that was state of the art. Calvin is talking of a car that is 7 years old with 75k. That is nothing.

Calvin also shares his experince with the staff at MB. It could be monday. It could be a coincidence but no matter, it's his personal experience and should be noted and respected.

I could make a far longer list of the non-sensical answers some of you have left but I will bolt this down to this conclusion:

1. AMG owners (in this thread) are rich, filthy rich and don't actually care their newly bought AMG has a max lifespan of 75k miles because of the fact that even very rudimentary equipment like cup-holders stops to work.

2. AMG owners (in this thread) accepts the fact that MB staff gives unpolite and non-supportive answers and feedback if you don't belong to the group mention in No.1. (and maybe not even then...)

3. AMG owners (in this thread) has a very narrow-sighted view of the car market and finds all this completely natural, thus is very unforgiven for other AMG-owners negative experience of the car and finds non-comprehensive and illogical answers to justify their brands superiority.

MB is the worlds oldest car maker. You could make the blunt mistake to believe that 2003 they could manufacture a first generation car with cup-holders actually working.

Nuf said.

/Marcus, Stockholm, Sweden - Looking for either the M5 (E60) or E55 W211.....

------------------------------------
Lexus IS250 (2007)
Audi A6 2.7Biturbo Quattro BSR (2001)
I don't see how you came up with these conclusions. The OP was just crying in his soup and the other posters gave him some tough love and good advice.

As far as I see your response the short of it is: My Lexus is a superior machine.

Why don't you back to clublexus.com and revel in your innate superiority. You aren't helping things either.

rjp

·
Registered
318 Posts
PS Marcus your Japanese Lexus (and generally all Jap cars) has the personality and the charm of a refrigerator and your Audi is a mechanical nightmare to maintain, overrated in capabilities and has mucho electrical problems- which is why you can obtain a used Audi for the price of day old fruit.

BTDT- I speak from experience.

rjp

EDIT: I just get a kick out of an AUDI owner talking about broken cupholders and inferior quality and engineering. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Marcus owns an AUDI. He has NO RIGHT to lecture anyone about reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you explain for a 2D-guy there is a 3D-world?

PS Marcus your Japanese Lexus (and generally all Jap cars) has the personality and the charm of a refrigerator and your Audi is a mechanical nightmare to maintain, overrated in capabilities and has mucho electrical problems- which is why you can obtain a used Audi for the price of day old fruit.

BTDT- I speak from experience.

rjp

EDIT: I just get a kick out of an AUDI owner talking about broken cupholders and inferior quality and engineering. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Marcus owns an AUDI. He has NO RIGHT to lecture anyone about reliability.
Randy, please read the thread again. You obviously have missed something. Because otherwise I don't really understand how one owners opinions of the reliability of his E55 AMG has ended with Audis and all japanese cars being crap and me being lecturing. Please.

But good you speak of experience, that's great.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Hmmm, so what kind of aftermarket warranties do you guys recommend for the AMG's?
If you are the original owner and the factory warranty is not yet up, then you can buy what's called the 'MB ELW' or Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty. It's exactly the same as the factory warranty, but simply extended. They come in two flavors: a 3 year/75k or a 3 year/100k. I bought a 3/100k from my purchasing dealer. The nice thing about them is that you can get a refund (pro-rated) at anytime. If you sell the car, wreck it, or just don't want the warranty anymore then you can get your money back. You can also transfer the ELW to another buyer (you can use it as an incentive if you sell the car.) The ELW starts right after your factory warranty expires. Be sure to shop around for a good price since the price can vary depending on the dealer.

If you aren't the original owner but have a dealer CPO warranty, then you can pay to have that extended if your dealer is willing. I think it might require an inspection by the dealer (not 100% sure about that.)

Chrysler used to underwrite Mercedes warranties but stopped doing so just recently (it was a throw back from the Daimler/Chrysler days.)

There are other aftermarket third party warranties but read the fine print. Plus a warranty company can close shop at any time without warning. Some people have bought EasyCare. They seem to have decent consumer reviews and are recommended by Motor Trend magazine as the best choice. Carchex is well rated, too.
CARCHEX® - Your BBB Accredited Resource for Extended Auto Warranties & Vehicle Inspections

·
Registered
710 Posts
Boy, this thread went a bit off track from the OP.:eek:

Plenty of different perceptions going on here.

In this forum, I've never gotten the impression the members are filthy rich. I'm certainly not. :(

I've received a tremendous amount of support and knowledgeable information from the forum members. It's equated to time and money saved.:thumbsup:

I'm pretty well interested in anything with an internal or external combustion engine, including having owned a R-975 on a test stand out of an M-4 Sherman tank.:eek: Also an MB w/Hydrak transmission.:banghead:

And so I'd have to agree with a previous poster, some tough love was shown here. And I'd rather learn from others' mistakes than my own.:D

And as it's coming up on the season to be jolly, I'll contribute to the holiday cheer with a Paulaner beer.:beerchugr:

That's all, folks!

Mike K.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts