Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

981 - 983 of 983 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
109 Posts
Don’t forget to drop your spare tire and clean out any debris around it now and then! This is easily patchable, but I’m glad I just happened to see some flakiness while I was under the back end with the bumper off and tire out to tighten the tow kit reinforcements. The hole is about the size of three dimes side-by-side. 🤮
7765A533-85EF-4706-BE66-DC39746F5A5A.jpeg
There is also a tiny bit of flakiness inside the rear rail on both ends - not a cause for immediate concern, but I think I’m going to hit as much of the frame as I can access with rust converter, POR-15, or something else to slow down any further deterioration.

In light of the recent “rusty frame” thread, I did crawl under the car before I bought it, and found nothing but light surface rust that I’d find on just about anything in this area. I didn’t go so far as to drop the spare tire or pull the bumper covers.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,739 Posts
Sam,

Good idea to pull down the mickey mouse spare every year to check for cracking in the rubber (fairly common with the age of these spares) , clean the rim and check the pressure. Factory sidewall calls for 60 p.s.i.
I picked up a spare spare at a local pull a part for $10.00 so if you have a recent 163 in your local PAP, you might consider the purchase.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
109 Posts
I was definitely thinking about either picking one up from a later ML or having a fresh tire put on this rim. The latter is not an inexpensive prospect.

981 - 983 of 983 Posts