Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

861 - 879 of 879 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought mine a year ago in Portland Oregon for $1300 and drove it home to eastern Washington. I have always loved German SUVs from this era, they were more purpose built and less minivan/crossover like newer versions. I've fixed mine up a lot over the last year and my family and I have fallen in love with it.
Nice, looks like it had a film on the hood removing that alone was an improvement! Just curious on the gray bumper cover choice? I know 98-99 came with them I think, Is yours a 2000? I do like the gray against the white. how many miles. What else besides a detail was needed?

You can add model and year to your signature, It was once below the member name but after the site remodel.....

Where about in Eastern Wa are you? we drive between Boise and Spokane quite a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice, looks like it had a film on the hood removing that alone was an improvement! Just curious on the gray bumper cover choice? I know 98-99 came with them I think, Is yours a 2000? I do like the gray against the white. how many miles. What else besides a detail was needed?

You can add model and year to your signature, It was once below the member name but after the site remodel.....

Where about in Eastern Wa are you? we drive between Boise and Spokane quite a bit.
It came with a bra to hide rock chips on the hood and to hold what was left of the bumper together.
The bumper is NOS (new old stock), I got it off eBay for $200 shipped because it was open box and a little scratched up. I left it primer grey because I like how the older MLs look (more rugged). And I use it as a truck and didn't want to worry about scratching the brand new paint.
I'm in the Tri-Cities. I have an old Govt house from the Hanford project. Next time you are in the area sent me a message.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Damn was just in the tri cities last weekend, we split the drive leaving Friday afternoon spending the night at the Pasco Red Lion.

So you probably have an idea of what Deadman Pass is like as per my photo?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice Sam, have not seen too many red ML's, nice color, looks like the paint is holding up well. But I am partial to red, yours is almost the color of my Sports Metalic Red Sierra. My wife was just glad our ml was not silver, 20 years with a silver van she had enough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It’s the only one I’ve seen so far. Most of them I see on the road are silver, white, or black, and the ones in the local junkyard have been black, white, navy blue, dark green, silver, and a gold/tan champagne-ish color.

The Ruby Red seems to have been dropped after 99 or 2000, though I think there was a slightly different red available later.

Overall the paint is in exceptional shape for a 21 year old vehicle with 227k on the clock. There are a couple of spots that need touch-up and a few small dents that I can probably address with my paintless dent puller. Strangely, the paint on the plastic side and rocker moldings is in good shape, but the bumper covers have a ton of peeling and flaking. I’d love to find a set of the fender flares to add at some point.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Fender flares? Or mud flaps? Only
ask only because my daughter and I just pulled a set of flaps and a Benz OEM hitch at local pick apart Monday he charge me 26.00 for the whole lot. Including a spare tire carrier latch.

Can’t tell if you have the flaps ? Looks like you don’t.

Bye the bye my wife would of loved her ml to be that color.

Apply for the high mile badge

·
Registered
45 Posts
Flares. The front and rear bumper covers are battered enough that I pulled replacements from the boneyard. The not-yet-installed rear bumper has the factory mud flaps attached. I also pulled a trailer hitch kit, but my yard charged a bit more. The price was still quite reasonable. All of the frame reinforcement brackets and the trailer connector bracket are currently soaking in a bucket of evaporust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn’t mind finding the front mud flaps and the trim that goes around the hitch opening in the rear bumper. That trim was missing from all three of the local junkyard cars that had hitches.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The center pop in bumper plate?
I had a white one in my hands Monday it was notched for the reciever on the benz hitch. The Benz hitch sits lower then a Draw tite hitch.

When I say notched it was cut during install it was a tight fit though but had jagged edges I think the hitch was a dealer install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that there was a factory-made piece that was made to fit around the stock hitch, but I have yet to see one. I’ll probably end up trimming the solid one in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
Is that part of the Grand Canyon. Being an Aussie I don’t have a clue. I flew over and along the Grand Canyon when I was in the US and I was absolutely amazed at its size. You would never believe it unless you saw it, It’s an incredible place.

·
Purple Moderator
21,649 Posts
That park is in Utah. The Grand Canyon is spectacular especially its size.
The canyons like Bryce and Zion in Utah are not as large but many people feel they much more beautiful than the Grand Canyon.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Is that part of the Grand Canyon. Being an Aussie I don’t have a clue. I flew over and along the Grand Canyon when I was in the US and I was absolutely amazed at its size. You would never believe it unless you saw it, It’s an incredible place.
Canyonlands NP is 400 road miles North East from Grand Canyon NP. Is is a lot more accesible for off road trips. Hundreds of miles of dirt trails.

861 - 879 of 879 Posts
About this Discussion
878 Replies
345 Participants
mattml430
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing