Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see the different Audio System installs in your W126.

I'm designing a system for mine and want a clean simple set up. A head unit with ipod connectivity, front & rear speakers in the OE locations, a sub woofer, and a 5 ch amp.

I've learned a lot from this forum and hopefully this thread can help me out in this stage of my project.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
MB 1985 W126 300SEL, 1991 MB W124 260E, 2007 MB W209 CLK200, 1999 Skyline R34 GTT Veilside,
342 Posts
Im also interested in this area to redo the whole leather interior with proper audio setup. The noise level in this car is so low, with proper sound staging setup would make it concert hall effects....

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Here's mine. Its a simple phantom face style head unit, Blaupunkt speakers up front and Polk Audio in the rear all hooked up to a four channel amp. Then a two channel amp for the single 10" sub. I origionally had the amp rack wrapped in a color matched carpet kit, but decided to have more fun with it and went with a furry zebra fabric. Maybe ill go with something more fancy in the future, but I had everything just laying around the garage and don't care about spending money on stereos at this time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's mine. Its a simple phantom face style head unit, Blaupunkt speakers up front and Polk Audio in the rear all hooked up to a four channel amp. Then a two channel amp for the single 10" sub. I origionally had the amp rack wrapped in a color matched carpet kit, but decided to have more fun with it and went with a furry zebra fabric. Maybe ill go with something more fancy in the future, but I had everything just laying around the garage and don't care about spending money on stereos at this time.

Are your speakers in the OE mounting locations? What size speakers? Did you port your sub through the 1st aid kit box?

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Nice install Badwayz :)

I am running a simple clean install also.

My system is made up all all Eclipse brand

Highly tuneable head unit
4x6 front speakers
6.5" rear speakers
4 channel ICE series amp for the speakers
monoblock ICE series amp for sub, and 12 inch sub

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice simple setup, kinda what I had in mind. How did you install the 6.5" on the rear deck?

Nice install Badwayz :)
I am running a simple clean install also.

My system is made up all all Eclipse brand

Highly tuneable head unit
4x6 front speakers
6.5" rear speakers
4 channel ICE series amp for the speakers
monoblock ICE series amp for sub, and 12 inch sub

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Hmmm it was a pain in the ass, they fit fine, but they wouldn't screw onto the factory speaker pods on my rear shelf, 6.5" were on my car from factory, so i siliconed them onto the speaker pods, then put the grill back on.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,142 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of mine.

Nice little system............;)
(three amps, iPod connectivity, 7" video flip-out screen, two 10" subwoofers, sound processor, back-up camera, integrated navigation system, etc.)

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
My mid/highs are factory sized plate speaker systems, direct plug n play. And the sub is not ported through the first aid cubby, I don't care about the bass enough, I just wanted a little depth, and it gives me that.

Most of the time, I'm just listening to the V8 and dual exhaust notes...

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Here is mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,270 Posts
mines simpel too

kenwood excelon head unit, eclipse 4 by 6 in the dash, and 6 by 9 3 way speakers in the rear deck, modified the 2 cubby wholes, and removed the stock rear speakers

12 inch 12w3 JL audio,
2 amps, eclipse 4 chanel and a PPI mono

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I have decided to go with Boston Acoustics, 4x6 in the dash and somehow fit 6.5 on the rear deck -> How would I go about this on a Gen 1 W126, minimizing custom work.

These for the rear deck.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-S65RC-2-way-speakers/dp/B0009JK1NI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1282632277&sr=8-5[/ame]

A 10" sub in a sealed box and port the bass through the 1st Aid Box.

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Stock dash speakers

Does anyone have a nice set of stock front speakers from a GenII W126 to sell?

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts

All I could think of when I saw that Zebra carpet was Supafly! =)

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Hell, all I want to do is get SOUND out of my speakers, not looking for anything fancy but my locked out becker radio HAS GOTSTA GO!

·
Mercedes
9,039 Posts
Guys... I'm looking at simply replacing the speakers in the dash, front doors and rear parcel shelf. I'm looking for quality speakers that would fit the Gen II models.

Are there specific brand/model that you guys recommend that would fit in the original area with minimum or no modifications?

I'm looking to keep the Becker radio for the sake of originality.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys... I'm looking at simply replacing the speakers in the dash, front doors and rear parcel shelf. I'm looking for quality speakers that would fit the Gen II models.

Are there specific brand/model that you guys recommend that would fit in the original area with minimum or no modifications?

I'm looking to keep the Becker radio for the sake of originality.

I've used Inifinity coax speakers in my W123 and even with out an external amp they sound good. I'm leaning on Boston Acoustics for my W126 project.

Either brand should have the size speakers you need so they install in the factory locations for your Gen2 W126.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts