Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
W107 500SL. 300CE-24 1990 1988xjs Jag
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents
This weekend i intend changing the oil in my 500 sl. I have been advised to disconnect the distributor and crank the engine to get the oil preasure up before starting is this advisable. Last time i changed the oil i didn't follow this procedure with no ill effects but i may have just been lucky.I intend using Penrite 10w50 containing ZDDP which i read in this forum is desirable fior these engines.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
Some recommend that practice, though I feel it's overkill. If you do be sure to check for the proper procedure for disconnecting/grounding the distributor to prevent possible other damage.

You'll get lots of advice on the proper oil... If you read that on this forum you should know what I mean. Use what you think is best. It'll undoubtedly be OK.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Hi gents
... I have been advised to disconnect the distributor and crank the engine to get the oil preasure up before starting is this advisable.
This can be a $1000 mistake if done incorrectly. Depending on the ignition system, the wrong procedure can kill electronic ignition components.

Since you don't mention your model year, I can't say whetheror not it is a concern for you.

No need to "prime" anyway... If good oil has been used in the past, there is little worry of damage as oil pressure will come up fairly quickly...

·
Premium Member
W107 500SL. 300CE-24 1990 1988xjs Jag
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Allan
I've read most of the oil discussions on this forum Thats why i've chosen the oil i have i'm not trying to start it off again
Rob

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,348 Posts
I just make sure the canister is as full as I can get it allowing the filter to saturate. Bolt it up. Clean it off. Lower the car. Then I start it.
(Obviously the crankcase is also filled.)

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
This can be a $1000 mistake if done incorrectly. Depending on the ignition system, the wrong procedure can kill electronic ignition components.
This has become a common warning.
I believe I am the only idiot on the forum who has actually done this.
I want proper credit for my pioneering stupidity.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Last time i changed the oil i didn't follow this procedure with no ill effects but i may have just been lucky.
It's possible, I suppose. But if that's the case then I win, because I've been lucky for four years.

I don't do my own oil changes, I have them done. My shop hasn't once cranked the engine to refill the tensioner, and I've never had a problem. The only time I worried about it was when I'd changed the tensioner, and the new one wasn't filled up. After squeezing that thing down to get it into the car, I felt confident that a simple draining of oil wouldn't be able to empty it.

Personally I think the warning is maybe valid for people with old, leaky tensioners, but in that case my solution would be to change it out, not coddle it with all this no-start-cranking business.

There, that's my grumpy old man impression for the day. Barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,348 Posts
Grumpy old men don't get grumpy for no reason.
Unless the engine is being started for the first time after a total rebuild or has been sitting for years. Just change the oil and start it.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
Grumpy old men don't get grumpy for no reason.
Unless the engine is being started for the first time after a total rebuild or has been sitting for years. Just change the oil and start it.
You are starting to sound like abe g on peachparts.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,348 Posts
You are starting to sound like abe g on peachparts.
My feelings are hurt. I am going to report you to the sensitive moderator.

This forum is for serious discussion. You and Scott are just wise guys.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
This forum is for serious discussion. You and Scott are just wise guys.
Hmmm. Dugald and I are being lumped together. Should I be excited? Insulted? Should Dug be excited? Insulted?

So many questions.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
Removing the distributor and cranking to get oil pressure is ridiculous. Perhaps if the car sat for 10 years- other than that, forget it. Like Rowdie said, fill the canister as much as you can- that's it.

·
7,166 Posts
Hmmm. Dugald and I are being lumped together. Should I be excited? Insulted? Should Dug be excited? Insulted?

So many questions.
He's just cutting the rest of us some slack...

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,348 Posts

So many questions.
Sheesh. defend a guys honor and this is what I get. You are the one who told abe g that it would take four days to change a water pump.:D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
It's possible, I suppose. But if that's the case then I win, because I've been lucky for four years.

I don't do my own oil changes, I have them done. My shop hasn't once cranked the engine to refill the tensioner, and I've never had a problem
+1, thousands of oil changes are done a day and i bet the MB shop doesn't do this. the guys in the w126 swear by it, but i don't see the logic that oil pressure keeps the chain tight or lubricated?? i don't think it's really been explained:)

·
7,166 Posts
... but i don't see the logic that oil pressure keeps the chain tight or lubricated?? i don't think it's really been explained:)
Do I interpret you do not know how the tensioner functions? ...or the role oil plays in lubricating the chain?

trust me... Oil is critical to both functions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts