Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2159 Posts

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am new here thought I'd say "howdy", show off my car and see if any of y'all want to do the same. My 83 280SL was a one-owner purchased from a retired airline pilot in Scottsdale, AZ. He was a preventive maintenance freak who kept the car in beautiful condition. I was looking for this particular model because I owned two 280 sedans in the past and always loved the dual-overhead cam hemi motor for the fact it delivered great performance and great gas mileage, and I got 250,000 miles out of the sedans pretty much trouble free.

83 280SL
Astral Silver
4 spd Auto
Master Locks
Manual Everything else
101,000 miles

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Nice lookin' ride KV!

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to snap another pic. I've since changed out the front lenses for a new set of Bosch lenses, and it looks even cleaner with the clear glass on the nose instead of those old cloudy ones. I've got to get that front license bracket off, too.

Ok, doesn't anyone else here have a picture of their ride?

·
Registered
34 Posts

1978 280sl euro, 4sp. Sorry it's not a better picture. I just bought the car in July. This was just one of a collection of shots of my "Garage Majal" in process. I'll get better photos soon.

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love that car eric. Is it a 500?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my 81' 380SL 188,432 miles

I bought it less than a week ago for $1300. It needs alot of TLC. It was neglected and sat out in the sun and So Cal ocean air for two years. The clearcoat is peeling and a some rust on the right side fender, other than that the body is sound. It runs smooth and the guy I bought it from swears he had it converted to the dual timing chain. This weekend all the fluids and filters are getting changed.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Guys - I guess it's time to quit lurking and join the fray here on the forum(s). Time to take a photo or two of mine (the Mistress) and get it posted. She's almost like BRNN53's - I've got the chrome trim and chromed Bundts on the dark blue (84 Euro Spec 500).

Got it in July and am trying to learn; I'm presently battling a high idle on her and have been doing so much reading while lurking/searching I've hit information overload. I need to get the manuals/CDs soon and take it step by step.

I will post a pic soon

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a beauty!! And exactly the same as my 86 300SL - my trim is the black/grey/burgundy and I have manual windows & mirrors.
I'm thinking of driving her day to day until she's 21 then spending scary amounts of money restoring her to concourse condition. Or we get a new kitchen. Hmmmmmm....... DON'T THINK SO!!
Out of interest, does a fuel consumption of ca 18-22MPG combined driving sound about right?

Oh no, turning into MB SL annorack! YIKES.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 2159 Posts