Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly looking at getting a 190, but which model is right for me?

I have not driven any of the models yet.

As you can see from my sign below, the ML is the primary vehicle for use on long trips and highway driving.

The 190 would be the comummter car during the week to work. We drive about 40 km/day for work.

Mainly freeway driving, however, my city is made up of nothing but hills. We work at the valley floor, and drive up to home every night. Aprroximate elevation change, I guess to be around ~2000ft. Usually a +5~8 degree C temperature difference from home to work

I am not too worried about the age of the vehicle, but it must have heated seats (requirement for my wife).

I thought about a 190D or 190DT, but they are hard too find. I thought that the torque would be enough to pull the car up the hills.

I am going to drive a 2.3 later today or tomorrow, but thought that the 2.6 might be better.

Any thoughts[?]

· Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that fuel economy is a concern, but any of the possible 190 engines will b...

I forgot to add that fuel economy is a concern, but any of the possible 190 engines will be better than the poor fuel economy of the ML320.

The 320 engine is great, but due to the amount of elevation change, and using the 320 to its full potential, the fuel does not last very long. Average is 15~18L/100km.

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
I would suggest the 2.6, inline 6 version. Gas milage (low to mid 20's average) is not mu...

I would suggest the 2.6, inline 6 version. Gas milage (low to mid 20's average) is not much off from the 2.3 4 cylinder. The last year of production was 1993.

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
If fuel economy is a concern...

Then you can't go past a 190D.

800km out of a tank that with current diesel prices is at most $25-30 here in BC. Can't argue with that?

· Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: If fuel economy is a concern...

800km out of a tank that with current diesel prices is at most $25-30 here in BC. Can't argue with that?

I drove a 92 2.6 this weekend and it had adequate power, but I didn't really fit well in the car.

It may have just been the seat position, but the wheel is too close to my legs. I am going to try a 300E this week to see if I fit better. I am not a tall guy, but have large thighs.

I would prefer a diesel, but only the 190 2.5TD or 300 3.0TD. However, these are tough to find as they are 1987 models and usually command a premium.

A 300 2.5TD might be alright since you can find newer models, but they are also expensive.

Fuel economy is a concern, but pretty much any MB car will blow the ML320 away right now. On a complete highway trip from Kamloops to Kelowna and back, we did average 11.3L/100km. Our '01 C240 would do it at 9.9L/100km. So the ML is pretty decent, but stop and go traffic kills it.

Let me know if you have anymore ideas. Thanks.

· Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: If fuel economy is a concern...

I tired emailing you, but it failed twice. So I will ask here.

Are you located in Vancouver?

Where did you every find that car?

Did you look for very long?

How much did it cost you?

I found an 87 300TE 3.0TD in Vancouver for $13K, but I am looking for something cheaper as it is our second car.

It may become our commuter depending on my wifes job. We currently car pool in the ML, but want to get something better on fuel. If she changes jobs farther away, I will have to drive it every day. So it has to be good on fuel.

Can you let me know everything that there is to know about the model? It must have adequate power. Not much for the 0-100km dash, but in-gear passing power must be decent.

Thanks for your time,

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
You're right about being rare...

Yes Dan, you are right about the rarity of 190 2.5 TDs. Apparently, I have one of three ever delivered to BC. The 300s are much more common, there are plenty round here in the lower mainland. If you are interested in driving a bigger car, have you considered a 300SD or SDL (I far prefer these myself)? The SDL is very rare and often ridiculously expensive (fetching up to $30,000), but there are thousands of the SDs around, many being brought up from the US at very reasonable prices for an earlier model (as little as $6-10,000). These cars are very well built, and even if you put a few thousand into repairs at first, they tend to be very reliable over the long run and without doubt you will save the money back in fuel savings.

I agree the 190 can be a bit tight, but don't forget the seat can be lowered by using the side lever.

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Re: Re: If fuel economy is a concern...

It may have just been the seat position, but the wheel is too close to my legs. I am going to try a 300E this week to see if I fit better. I am not a tall guy, but have large thighs.
The problem might be more "school bus" steering wheel, 16 inches I believe (and no tilt), that Mercedes chose back then. There are aftermarket wheels, both airbag and non-airbag compatible.

· Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Re: If fuel economy is a concern...

The problem might be more "school bus" steering wheel, 16 inches I believe (and no tilt), that Mercedes chose back then. There are aftermarket wheels, both airbag and non-airbag compatible.

That would be the problem. I had the seat down as far as it would go, but due to the lack of the tilt wheel, it is right at my legs.

I am going to try a 300E within the next few weeks to see how that fits.

· Registered
C36 AMG - ML430
210 Posts
I would suggest a 1993 2.6 Limited Edition (Sportline). These have better resale, airbag,...

I would suggest a 1993 2.6 Limited Edition (Sportline). These have better resale, airbag, ABS, Alpine Active Bass Stereo, Sporline parts, and carbon fiber trim.

My second choice would be a 1987 16 Valve 5-Speed.

Regards,

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.