Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i got my w140 on a lift and i saw that the my driver side o2 sensors was dripping with transmission fluid. so we replaced the sensor and some dielectric grease on the connectors. the tip of the sensor even had transmission fluid on it.

So far we have changed:
8x sparks plugs w/ coil and boots
4x o2 sensors
4x catalytic converters
Mass Air Flow Meter

and we have checked:
Intake leaks
air leaks in general
exhaust leaks
wiring
ground points

So hopefully this fixes it, now i need to drive 20miles today turn the car off drive another 20 miles tomorrow and then restart the car and drive 2 miles(thats 2 full cycles). Smog check due date in 11 days :( if i can't pass smog i can't register my car, and if i can't register my car i am going to have reoccurring fees from the DMV and insurance company won't cover the car, oh yeah and if i do drive its a $1000 fine and impounding of the vehicle.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Did you fix the tranny leak? Often that is traceable to the pilot bushing for the electrical harness connection on the front/right of the transmission. It's a common issue for the 5 speed. If you don't fix it, aside from losing AT, the fluid can travel up the harness and short out the TCU. There is a DIY in the W210 forum stickies you can use for replacement, part is cheap and it's easy to change.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you fix the tranny leak? Often that is traceable to the pilot bushing for the electrical harness connection on the front/right of the transmission. It's a common issue for the 5 speed. If you don't fix it, aside from losing AT, the fluid can travel up the harness and short out the TCU. There is a DIY in the W210 forum stickies you can use for replacement, part is cheap and it's easy to change.

Good luck.
yes i have replaced it. but my leak is from the actual lever the part itself is $1 from the dealer and the install is $700 :(

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOOD LUCK

Have you checked all the vacuum lines?
all replaced and tested. no leaks at all well except for the oil cap but thats not important. the other thing i am ruling out if the FPR but i ordered one today from autohausaz since the dealer wanted $200 for bosch while autohausaz had it for $50ish. i literally can't afford these codes anymore loli have spent way over $1,000 to repair these codes.

·
Registered
1992 600SEL and 1990 ford taurus GL
270 Posts
wow emissions tests suck :( how often do you have to take them? and does the car have to be in perfect operating condition to pass them, or can it be a little aged?
Im asking because where i live, i don't have to take emissions, ever. this is why i don't live in california.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow emissions tests suck :( how often do you have to take them? and does the car have to be in perfect operating condition to pass them, or can it be a little aged?
Im asking because where i live, i don't have to take emissions, ever. this is why i don't live in california.
Lovely California testing is once every 2 years, its mainly emissions, brake lights, muffler, ignition condition. let me add if you have old air filters in the car it might not pass, also the same with oil. you have to use 91 octane and throw in a fuel system cleaner before testing(not that cheap stuff they sell in auto parts stores) if the car misfires you fail, very rough idle you fail, they check the timing in some cases. now if you fail it goes in the carfax. if your check engine light turns on you fail on the spot and you can't reset and go they fail you automatically, then you see civics with no exhaust and messed up engines driving everywhere that clearly can't pass testing.

they can also check mileage, it all depends on where you go. Now if you go to one of those fancy business they will test everything and give you a bill of $150+ now if you go to a mom and pops shop they do a basic obd2 scan and stick something in your muffler that tells them if its polluting the air. they have to do a basic fuel cap test.

sad story when i had my w220. i took it in good condition but the worker forgot to close the gas cap after the pressure test and the check engine light turned on and failed.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
obd2 cars get plugged into the computer when it gets tested, so any cel light is an automatic fail. mine is obd1 and has a cel but its for the idle control so it passed with no problems since the light wont come on once its warmed up. i love the older cars :p

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They dont let you renew your registeration and can impound the car.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
This goes on my "Do not do list" Live in Calif. What a crock!!! Feel sorry for you poor buggers!!!

Smokie

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
Its not really that bad I've only had 1 car not pass smog because I forgot to put the cat back In after a motor swap

sent from my HD2 running Android 4.1

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
There is a "planned non-operation" option for registration. Pay a one-time small fee, then don't pay again until you want to register it again to drive.

Brett

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
You bring up a good point. Why not just not renew and wait until you can get it back on the road to renew. My guess is that when you go to renew, if you have not done the planned non-operation thing, that you have to pay a penalty that is more than the $15 non-operation fee. The non-operation fee is one-time, renewable each year with no charge. What purpose does it serve versus allowing registration to lapse and get renewed down the road? I'm not sure. It's probably the best official mechanism that they could come up with to be able to penalize on-the-road cars that habitually don't renew promptly without causing a penalty to those who know they have a car that needs to be taken off the road temporarily and are good citizens and play the game properly. Imagine if you waited 2 months every year to renew without penalty. After 6 years, you'd have accumulated a free year of registration.

But, I generally agree, California does suck on many DMV levels.

Brett

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You bring up a good point. Why not just not renew and wait until you can get it back on the road to renew. My guess is that when you go to renew, if you have not done the planned non-operation thing, that you have to pay a penalty that is more than the $15 non-operation fee. The non-operation fee is one-time, renewable each year with no charge. What purpose does it serve versus allowing registration to lapse and get renewed down the road? I'm not sure. It's probably the best official mechanism that they could come up with to be able to penalize on-the-road cars that habitually don't renew promptly without causing a penalty to those who know they have a car that needs to be taken off the road temporarily and are good citizens and play the game properly. Imagine if you waited 2 months every year to renew without penalty. After 6 years, you'd have accumulated a free year of registration.

But, I generally agree, California does suck on many DMV levels.

Brett
here is thing if you plan non-operating you can't register it back until next year with double the late fee amount. or else i would have done that by now and if you plan non operating and you decide to drive it and get pulled over say bye bye to the car because its going straight into the impound lot.

anyways now my codes went from p0153 and p0160 to only one code p0150(don't know if its better or worse)

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Aritstotle always said you can't legislate for people to behave well.

Here we have a situation where a fine young man, NhzR is clearly busting his ass to do the right thing (arguably, more than...) and he is effectively being punished.

It's not right. I hope my measly 2-300 will help.

R

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aritstotle always said you can't legislate for people to behave well.

Here we have a situation where a fine young man, NhzR is clearly busting his ass to do the right thing (arguably, more than...) and he is effectively being punished.

It's not right. I hope my measly 2-300 will help.

R
Thanks Rich for your kind words. I am literally trying to repair this issue all day and night i even purchased a Carsoft thing off ebay to help and so far it was a paper weight since the software they sent didn't work and someone on the w210 part of these forums helped me out :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts