Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 1985 380 SE 87 K MILES I HAVE OWNED FOR 20 YEARS. WELL CARED FOR, FULL SYNTHETIC EVERY 5 K. HEARD NOISE WHEN TRIED TO START, THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE CHAIN OR GUIDE RAIL.NO WARNING. WHERE DO I START, I WANT TO ATTEMPT TO DO MYSELF.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,443 Posts
Its usually the top rails. I'd whip the valve covers off and have a look. Wouldnt try starting the car again until then. Its so sad when it dies that way and as you say there is sometimes no warning, just a little 'clink' and thats it.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,485 Posts
I HAVE A 1985 380 SE 87 K MILES I HAVE OWNED FOR 20 YEARS. WELL CARED FOR, FULL SYNTHETIC EVERY 5 K. HEARD NOISE WHEN TRIED TO START, THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE CHAIN OR GUIDE RAIL.NO WARNING. WHERE DO I START, I WANT TO ATTEMPT TO DO MYSELF.
Welcome to the forum.
If you are lucky, you don't have bent valves, and the chain hasn't jumped timing.
Open the valve covers, and let us know what you see.
What is the repair / maintenance record. Have the timing chain and guides been replaced previously?
The forum archive has many threads re the issue. Why not try a search Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
Cheers

P.S. Please disable cap locks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I HAVE PULLED BOTH VALVE COVERS. THE ENGINE IS EXTREMELY CLEAN INSIDE, NO SLUDGE OF ANY KIND.

THE PROBLEM IS THE DRIVERS SIDE INSIDE UPPER CHAIN SLIDE, IT IS BROKEN AT THE UPPER PIN. THE PIN MUST BE THREADED ??
I WILL ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT, IS THERE A LOWER PIN ALSO??

THE CHAIN APPEARS TO BE TIGHT, IT AND THE SPROCKETS
APPEAR TO BE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

CHANCES ARE I HAVE PARTS OF THE CHAIN GUIDE, LOWER IN THE ENGINE MUST THE FRONT TIMING COVER OR PAN BE REMOVED ? I HAVE NEVER TORN A MB DOWN, BUT PROBABLY CAN.

THE CHAIN, SPROCKET AND ALL GUIDES HAVE NEVER BEEN REPLACED,
FIRST TIME THIS ENGINE HAS BEEN OPENED.

IT HAS A DOUBLE ROW TIMING CHAIN.

I BUILD STREET RODS AS A HOBBY.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

DONS BENZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
If you are lucky, you don't have bent valves, and the chain hasn't jumped timing.
Open the valve covers, and let us know what you see.
What is the repair / maintenance record. Have the timing chain and guides been replaced previously?
The forum archive has many threads re the issue. Why not try a search Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
Cheers

P.S. Please disable cap locks.
WHAT ARE CAP LOCKS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,443 Posts
Wow, hopefully you have been lucky with it. The pieces will go to the oil pan i think, but you're best off searching through the threads for very detailed advice.
On mine a piece was hanging around in the head valve cover area, so i was lucky there too.
Well spotted anyway and best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts