Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230K
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about upgrading the speakers in my c230 and even possibly getting a 12" sub too. Im leaning towards JBL products though I dont know very much in this area I just read they have quality product in speaker/sub. I already know I need brackets for the speakers but I have read some things saying people don't upgrade all 6 speakers because I just figured you would. And if I get a amp then to power all this I know multi channel amps exist but would it have to be a 7 channel amp? And I would need to get whats called a capacitor as well? Any advice is greatly appreciated:flamg:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Sport
28 Posts
I had a non-Bose system and upgraded everything. I replaced all the speakers and have a 12 in the trunk. I use a 5 channel amp, the front and rear power front and door speakers, and the sub channel powers 2 6x9's in the rear deck. The sub is powered by a seperate amp, mounted to the back of the sub box.

The 5 channel is mounted to the underside of the rear deck in the trunk, and the sub amp sits up behind the rear seats, with the sub facing backwards. With the width of the box, I can still access the spare and the battery without taking the box out, and can still fit ALOT of STUFF in the trunk.

I do not use a capacitor, as my amp powering the subs is not THAT powerful, and I don't have any issues with lights dimming.

I know brackets are available for the speakers, but if you just take a little time you can make the brackets that are there work for speakers of comparible size. Searching on this forum and google gives you lots of info about modifying the brackets.

Good luck

·
Registered
2000 C230K
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looking through other threads I've decided on buying brackets on caraudiosecurity.com using the front SAK-2001(6.5") the rear door SAK-2003(5.25") or the SAK-2011(4") and the rear shelf SAK-2002(6.5"). So my first question is which rear door bracket to use because clearly it is going to be smaller than the front and rear shelf speakers I'm thinking probably 5.25" simply because its bigger. And if the rear shelf brackets are 6.5" how would i fit a pair of 6x9" oval speakers in them? Not very knowledgeable in this area so any advice is appreciated because I'm set on getting a new sound system in my car. From what I know I also plan on getting 2 separate amps 1 to power the front 4 speakers and another to power the back 2 shelf speakers and the sub. Again, any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
To fit 6x9's you would have to cut the metal. At that point, the brackets would not be needed. I like having the soundstaging coming from the front, so I did not put coaxial speakers in the rear deck.

My car did not have the Bose system. Upgrading the speakers alone did wonders, but I had to install an amp for the rear deck 6.5's. Make sure you test the system for buzzes and rattles before you reinstall the rear hatshelf.

I chose 5.25" for the rear door speakers for no reason other than the fact they have a lower frequency response. In a non-Bose system, they are run as full-range. They provide a "fill", adding richness to the overall system and should not be omitted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts