Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C200 sedan 2004 model
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this following solution prevent oil from leaking into the loom from the Cam magnet coils of my car damaging the ECU? I remove the plastic portion on the back of the cam coil connectors and pull the plastic sleeve of the loom back away from the connector. I then reroute the wires to come from the top instead of from the bottum the way the factory did it. I then tie the wires to the piece where you clamp the plastic cover on. See photo. My commences say for me if oil will start leaking from the connectors it will drop and it will not be possible to run in between the plastic sleeving of the loom as the sleeving is no longer in contact with the connectors.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It should work just fine.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
that should work.

Just keep an eye on the magnet and if you see oil, clean the area with brake cleaner.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Good solution...

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Get the pigtail.

·
Registered
'05 C230K Coupe
20 Posts
I'd be concerned that there still could be Capillary action. I'm guessing that MB added some sort of seal to the extension cable plugs to prevent oil seepage.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
A connector was put in to the wiring after 2000 as oil would wick up the wires otherwise.

An early fix was to solder the strands in the wires at some point in the line to prevent wicking.

Oberoi

·
Registered
'05 C230K Coupe
20 Posts
A connector was put in to the wiring after 2000 as oil would wick up the wires otherwise.

An early fix was to solder the strands in the wires at some point in the line to prevent wicking.

Oberoi
Maybe the extension/adapter/pigtail was used by Oz MB but US MB want extra $ for this piece (pieces for the 271) up to 2005, and, as mentioned many times in the forum, won't even acknowledge that it's a disaster waiting to happen in some model years. MB Canada denies that there is a problem at all.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C200 sedan 2004 model
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you in fact are telling me is that the oil leak in between the copper strands of the wires and the plastic coating of the wires all the way to the ECU and that what I suggest will not work. This is almost unbelievable. I thought that the oil leaks between the plastic sleeve of the loom and the wires.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I think a combination of the two would have it covered - we found that the wicking was in the fine strands of wire (not the plastic covering - but you could epoxy a sleeve over the soldered bit to absolutely nail it)

The early SLK magnets didn't have the same connector that you have coming out of the magnet, hence the problem. One of the fixes was to buy another connector set so that there was a break in the wire from the magnet.

I would have thought that your connector would help to interrupt the flow of oil - still a problem? (It does point downward so I can see what's probably happening)

Good luck - the cost of a new ECU makes a bit of trouble worth it!!

EDIT - just read 'oil in connectors' in the stickys - your problems with the cam magnets seem worse than the early SLKs issue

Oberoi

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,439 Posts
What kind of oil? Well, it's whatever you put in the crankcase - probably Mobil 1 0w40.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
mine was leaking camshaft magnet, i wonder what kind of oil is coming out can anyone tell me?
As Rudeney said engine oil, the magnet does not have seperate oil in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts