Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Moggers
I have a potential problem brewing with the arrival of my unimog later this month. I just received the shipping documents (monday the 12th) and the title is a photocopy. :eek:
I was told by the seller (a reputable reseller in Germany) that a photocopied title will not be a problem. US customs is/was not amused. The many customs brokers i have spoke with will not touch it without an original title.
I have emailed and will be calling the reseller as soon as the time frame allows.
My questions...should it be that difficult to get an original title in Germany for a unimog? Is there any other way to show ownership? My gut tells me no.
I have about two weeks but am getting a little concerned by the last response saying...."as we told you in advance we don't have the original title as this was lost. We can make you a confirmation written on our letter head if this helps you."
I am thinking a confirmation letter would not do much for US customs.
Any ideas??
Franco

·
Registered
75 Posts
gee. I hope for the best for you. I am sure that there are enough guys here who have done this before and will know for sure if a photocopy will do. please keep the list up to date with your progress. I am sure it will be of help to others

best wishes
lou

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,449 Posts
Its the seller's responsibility to convey good title. A photocopy is a POS. No one will accept it here. They can get a duplicate if the original is lost. Its their problem, not yours. Don't take no for an answer. IMO.

·
Registered
'94 4Runner with 421 Mog axles, Cummins 4BTA engine, sTaK 3-spd transfer case, 19.5-46X20 Baja Claws
141 Posts
Its the seller's responsibility to convey good title. A photocopy is a POS. No one will accept it here. They can get a duplicate if the original is lost. Its their problem, not yours. Don't take no for an answer. IMO.

I agree with Wilson, the photocopy is worthless. I assume that the seller made you pay the full price up-front. If that is the case, you are at the seller's mercy. That truck will not be capable of being registered for certain, and I have my doubts that it will be allowed into the country.

I suggest that you try a persistent, friendly approach, and even offer to pay for the duplicate title. He has his money and if he chooses to be an ass, you are screwed. Tact and diplomacy are your friends in this situation.

·
Registered
1978 406
124 Posts
Franco,
You didnt give the age of the truck, the rules have evolved over the years. Assuming this is a `grey' vehicle which I think applies to those built prior to a universal VIN agreement, ( not sure of the date but iin the mid 70s- early 80s I believe) then the German and most european Govts did not issue titles as we have here, but rather a history of ownership document that went along from owner to owner and signed off by each as a form of transfer. I do not think this was an offical record in that it was registered with authorities but more like a continuous bill of sale that showed all owners back to mfgr. I do know there is a 27 sylable german name for this. Not sure if this helps as you can tell I am far from well versed. Just do not expect what you are used to here from applying to foriegn transactions when it comes to documents etc.
Dave

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
Doc, I was going to answer your private message but thought it would be helpful to others to make it public.

60th LCC, the term you're looking for is FAHRZEUGBRIEF...

docfranco said:
Hi
I am wondering if you may have any ideas that may help me. I have bought a 1979 416 doka and it is on its way to me from germany. I just received my shipping docs (bill of lading, bill of sale & title) and find the title is a photocopy, the seller claims to only have the photocopy. the seller is Merex, which has a fairly good reputation. I am wondering how much trouble customs may/will give me over it?
Frank
Yeah - I saw the thread you started. Just like in the USA, the seller should have sent you an ORIGINAL "Fahrzeugbrief" (German title) - he would no longer have any use for it. I hope the numbers match when you see the truck...

I used an experienced customs broker at the port - you may want to find one ASAP. The broker did NOT have a copy of the German title - only copies of the bill of sale and shipping documents. She evidently didn't NEED the title or had "ways" around it. It was my understanding that customs didn't give a crap about titles - their only concern was in collecting duty. That would make sense since the Feds are not involved at all in licensing and registration. If the truck had proper shipping documents and the EPA/DOT forms had the proper boxes marked, they were happy.

BTW - get ORIGINAL SIGNED COPIES OF THE EPA & DOT FORMS - you'll probably need them for registration.

Now, all this was at the port of Baltimore, MD. Since you are in the unfortunate position of being in the Republik of Kalifornia, all bets as to similarity with the real world are off. If you're unlucky, Arnold will be driving your truck after buying it at customs auction...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts