Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, winter is coming and so on one or two forum member's kind suggestion I began looking at 4 * 4 to protect the W140 - as unexpectedly, I am stuck in Canada for a bit...

I've always liked old Range Rovers and am comfortable with the "they dont work well" stuff. But if Brits can handle it..., and they're cheap - but, whoa! - when I looked up the gas mileage - its worse than a V12 W140. I then looked at an ML and while I respect those who have bought one I find it as exciting as a sheep. And the gas mileage... well, better than an RR - but still.

Then it hit me - an old 4 matic E class wagon? Great gas mileage, can go anywhere in the snow (on road at least) and for well under 10k you can get a reasonable one. Something to think about, perhaps...? I'm not off road here - so, whaddya think?

But then the heresy crept in - is there an s class 4 matic ?:D:D:D

And ooops, the car we all love so much the 2000 - 2006 plastic s class. Hmmmn. Well, there is no CL un 4 matic till silly money in 08 or 09; still I prefer the E class but if you had to have just one car to do everything an 04 - 06 S class 4 matic 430 is hard to beat - on paper at least.

Anyway, dont worry I'm keeping the coupe and will seek out some kind of banger 4 * 4 or maybe, just maybe - I'll get Bridgestone BIizzak's for the coupe and whack on chains and send you all pictures!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I'm surprised you're not considering the Toyota Landcruiser or it's smaller cousin the Toyota Prado (do you get those in the US?).

More reliable, well built and still have all the luxury options you'll need.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm surprised you're not considering the Toyota Landcruiser or it's smaller cousin the Toyota Prado (do you get those in the US?).

More reliable, well built and still have all the luxury options you'll need.
toyotas are about exciting looking as a sheep. and built like crap. yes, they run forever but body wise, its like sitting in a soda can!

my mother inlaw has a 04 range rover, she paid 8k for it and worth 27 when she got it last year. she drives it daily, and gets about 18mpg (95% freeway to and from work for her, one way entirely uphill, one way entirely downhill). not too many problems with it for her, and they take good care of all fluid changes, etc when needed. drivers door handle was crap, gas cap broke, other than that nothing else that im aware of. mpg isnt too bad unless you have leadfoot issues.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
toyotas are about exciting looking as a sheep. and built like crap. yes, they run forever but body wise, its like sitting in a soda can!

my mother inlaw has a 04 range rover, she paid 8k for it and worth 27 when she got it last year. she drives it daily, and gets about 18mpg (95% freeway to and from work for her, one way entirely uphill, one way entirely downhill). not too many problems with it for her, and they take good care of all fluid changes, etc when needed. drivers door handle was crap, gas cap broke, other than that nothing else that im aware of. mpg isnt too bad unless you have leadfoot issues.
Haha, you're a life-long US car driver from your own admission and you're calling Toyota out for bad build quality?

That's pretty rich... :yelrotflmao:

Personally I don't know how any SUV can be that exciting to drive in the snowy winter either. Exciting as in you might or might not make it home in the blizzard? :confused:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yep. I find Toyota to be no better than any other car. There have been three Toyota's in my family and all at 65k miles had lots of various problems. They are boring cars, and most of them feel flimsy, cheap looking fonts, plastics are plastic looking like any other car, and I feel safer in a metal garbage can. My friend just rented a rav 4.....made my impala feel like a w140 in comparison. What's with the frowny looking depressed front ends?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Yep. I find Toyota to be no better than any other car. There have been three Toyota's in my family and all at 65k miles had lots of various problems. They are boring cars, and most of them feel flimsy, cheap looking fonts, plastics are plastic looking like any other car, and I feel safer in a metal garbage can. My friend just rented a rav 4.....made my impala feel like a w140 in comparison. What's with the frowny looking depressed front ends?
You're talking out a hole in your head. Toyota are almost universally regarded for quality and reliability. At least outside the US.

They're not supposed to be particularly exciting cars so running them down on something they don't even try to sell them as is just stupid.

They're styling is miles better than anything the US auto industry produces, everything there is covered in chrome and looks like it's been designed for 50 cent to roll in. I got back from 3 weeks in the US this month and I drove two rental cars there, both Fords, for extended periods of time (A Fusion and whatever the smaller SUV is). They were both highly spec'd with leather etc and I wouldn't rate them anywhere near any newish Toyota I've driven.

I've driven a lot of stuff from Toyota iQ's, Camrys right up to the Prados/Landcruiser and they are very good for the price.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
But then the heresy crept in - is there an s class 4 matic ?:D:D:D

And ooops, the car we all love so much the 2000 - 2006 plastic s class. Hmmmn. Well, there is no CL un 4 matic till silly money in 08 or 09; still I prefer the E class but if you had to have just one car to do everything an 04 - 06 S class 4 matic 430 is hard to beat - on paper at least.
Is there a S430 4-Matic? The only W220 4-Matic's I've seen are S500's

A 4WD S-Class sounds good imo. Though if I had to choose, I'd go with an Audi A8 :p

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Completely agree with NZ Benz here. By the way, 65k on Toyota and developing tons of problems, can't say its the car there. Either a lemon or blame the owners for neglect/improper maintenance.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Toyotas are boring as hell to drive but they hold their value better than anything else it's it's class. (Honda is just about the same) The Tundras or Landcruisers would be a good bet for a winter driver.

Here are some pics of all the toyotas I've bought and sold over the years. I've also sold various other cars over the years as well but the toyotas seem to sell a lot quicker! Both of the tercels were the worst car I've ever had the displeasure of getting into BUT they sold within a day of putting them up for sale. Quick way to get easy cash. :thumbsup:

The Tundra was my personal favorite. I put a tinted sliding rear glass in it, a flip up DVD player, 15% tinted windows, bought newer toyota tundra rims and installed four new goodyear wranglers. I bought it on the cheap from my dad but I always let my friend borrow it because her 98' Saab was always in the shop... It was practically her truck for a few months but strangely she liked it better than her Saab 900 overall. :eek:

And yes that's condensation in the passenger side foglamp of the C6. I had put vinyl foglight covers on there that I bought from eckler's corvettes. While driving with the foglights on it apparently formed small crackles on the lens because the vinyl was heating up the lens. I didn't find out until about two months later when I was detailing the car and removed the foglight covers. :mad: In the mornings there would always be condensation inside it. :mad: After that happened I removed the acrylic side marker black outs and tail light black outs... (last picture shows the covers and acrylic black outs) :surrender:

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
You're talking out a hole in your head. Toyota are almost universally regarded for quality and reliability. At least outside the US.

They're not supposed to be particularly exciting cars so running them down on something they don't even try to sell them as is just stupid.

They're styling is miles better than anything the US auto industry produces, everything there is covered in chrome and looks like it's been designed for 50 cent to roll in. I got back from 3 weeks in the US this month and I drove two rental cars there, both Fords, for extended periods of time (A Fusion and whatever the smaller SUV is). They were both highly spec'd with leather etc and I wouldn't rate them anywhere near any newish Toyota I've driven.

I've driven a lot of stuff from Toyota iQ's, Camrys right up to the Prados/Landcruiser and they are very good for the price.
Your right, American cars suck. SUV's and trucks only. Pipe wrenches and Crescents(adjustables). Cast iron compressors and Valves. Old school. We haven't figured out the new stuff yet.;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Toyota ... sorry still don't see the greatness of them. Again, overrated like a-rod.

I've been in the new escapes....and they are just as cheap feeling as the rav4.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a S430 4-Matic? The only W220 4-Matic's I've seen are S500's

A 4WD S-Class sounds good imo. Though if I had to choose, I'd go with an Audi A8 :p
yeah, I love the look of the early A8's - but the interior dials in RED!!!!!! - WTF - :eek::eek:

I agree great car, but after nearly 15 years of W126 & 140, just not sure I can handle the nauseating aesthetics inside.

To be honest I'm still leaning to either
(i) an old range rover (did they do dieasel over here)
(ii) an older e classwagon, 4 matic; or
(iii) Blizzaks & chains on either the C140 or 126... :D

R

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Toyota ... sorry still don't see the greatness of them. Again, overrated like a-rod.

I've been in the new escapes....and they are just as cheap feeling as the rav4.
NZ Benz is right Toyotas are good and safe(ish) and reliable.

But like Tack I just don't *want* to do it.. I'd enjoy a lot more putting sand bags in the trunk, sticking on the Blizzaks and mastering chains this winter with a Wxyz....:thumbsup:

But, if the snow is BAD, and the long hills to my place are icy, watch me eat some words

Did they ever let a diesel Land Rover over here?

Yes they did...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=309954960&dealer_id=66771835&car_year=1983&systime=&doors=&model=RANGE&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1320994237142&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=Diesel&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2002&make3=ROV&showZipError=y&make2=ROV&certified=&engine=&dma=PORTLAND_OR&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&model3=&color=&address=97130&sort_type=priceDESC&model2=ROVOTH&max_price=&make=ROV&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1048&standard=false

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yeah, I love the look of the early A8's - but the interior dials in RED!!!!!! - WTF - :eek::eek:

I agree great car, but after nearly 15 years of W126 & 140, just not sure I can handle the nauseating aesthetics inside.

To be honest I'm still leaning to either
(i) an old range rover (did they do dieasel over here)
(ii) an older e classwagon, 4 matic; or
(iii) Blizzaks & chains on either the C140 or 126... :D

R
If you're gonna use one of your S-Classes, go with the C140 since it has ESP. I've spun out a couple times in the W126, so from personal experience I know that traction control is not enough.

Then again, I'd rather not use either W126 or C140 since the snow can really do some damage (rust) underneath the car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rich, I see that you're still contemplating running the coupe in the snow. Honestly, I can say that as long as the car is in good shape bodywise now (no rust), it will be no worse after a season in the snow. Wisconsin puts down quite a bit of salt and also liquid de-ice fluid, and it hasn't eaten up my car at all. Washing and proper waxing throughout winter is the key to preventing rust. Just get the Blizzak WS60's and it will be awesome. I had so much fun running the snow tires, the car felt extremely safe (Wisconsin had a really snowy, icy winter last year) and I made my 60 + mile commute to work everyday with no issues. Honestly, those tires were the best investment into the car yet (besides routine maintenance).

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rich, I see that you're still contemplating running the coupe in the snow. Honestly, I can say that as long as the car is in good shape bodywise now (no rust), it will be no worse after a season in the snow. Wisconsin puts down quite a bit of salt and also liquid de-ice fluid, and it hasn't eaten up my car at all. Washing and proper waxing throughout winter is the key to preventing rust. Just get the Blizzak WS60's and it will be awesome. I had so much fun running the snow tires, the car felt extremely safe (Wisconsin had a really snowy, icy winter last year) and I made my 60 + mile commute to work everyday with no issues. Honestly, those tires were the best investment into the car yet (besides routine maintenance).
Thanks Scapin, I think if I end up in Colorado, or stay here with snow and the C140 then I will go with Blizzak's, I do think the C140 will do better than the W126...

Now I have some interesting news I dug up this morning - you can import cars to Canada from Europe (no problem at all!) if they are more than 15 years old - and given the price of gas over there the CL's are so cheap there... You can get a nice CL420 for like 3k GBP with full history.

Equally, in Europe Range Rover made a nice 2.5 diesel in mid 90's that gets almost 30mpg (nearly 35mpg if the cat is cleaned out) - 4 * 4 and diesel and cool for cheap. Hmmn this is interesting!

R

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you're gonna use one of your S-Classes, go with the C140 since it has ESP. I've spun out a couple times in the W126, so from personal experience I know that traction control is not enough.

Then again, I'd rather not use either W126 or C140 since the snow can really do some damage (rust) underneath the car.
Good points and agree on all fronts...!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts